DENVER (AP) — LeBron James stuck his feet into the bucket filled with ice water as he talked about his role in social issues.

Right after scoring 34 points in a win over the Denver Nuggets on Tuesday night, the Cleveland Cavaliers star was asked about his reaction to a grand jury declining to indict two white Cleveland police officers in the fatal shooting of Tamir Rice, a 12-year-old black boy who had a pellet gun.

“For me, I’ve always been a guy who’s took pride in the knowledge of every situation I’ve ever spoke on,” James said. “To be completely honest, I haven’t really been on top of this issue. So it’s hard for me to comment on it.”

There’s a movement on social media urging James’ involvement. The hashtag “NoJusticeNoLeBron” is picking up momentum, with activists asking James to miss games as a protest to the grand jury’s decision. James hasn’t heard much about it.

Tamir Rice was carrying what turned out to be a pellet gun when Timothy Loehmann shot and killed the boy within two seconds of emerging from his police cruiser in November 2014. On Monday, prosecutors said a grand jury concluded that Loehmann reasonably believed that it was a real gun and that his life was in danger.

“I understand that any lives that’s lost, what we want more than anything, is prayer and the best for the family. For anyone,” James said. “But for me to comment on this situation, I don’t have enough knowledge about it.”

When James played in Miami, he led a protest by the Heat players, who wore hooded sweatshirts for a photo shoot to protest the death of teenager Trayvon Martin. Last season, James wore an “I Can’t Breathe” T-shirt in New York after Eric Garner was killed while being arrested.

James knows his voice and status can help him have a positive impact.

“I’ve been very outspoken about what I believe in, what hits home for me,” James said. “There have been so many more issues going on that I haven’t spoken about.

“There’s been the San Bernardino massacres, been guys going to the movie theaters, shooting up movie theaters, there’s been other issues. I don’t have much knowledge so I don’t speak about it.”

James added that this issue is “bigger than LeBron. It’s bigger than me.

“It’s about everyone. Gun violence and tragedies and kids losing lives at a young age, some way, somehow, we have to understand that that matters more than just an individual.”

(Photo Source: AP)

41 thoughts on “Movement on Social Media Asks LeBron James To Get Involved – Fair?

1. Too Many Suckas on said:

It’s sad how many ignorant black people using the excuse of activist have set up shop here in B more to harass police and pimp w b more. But refuse to address why crime has skyrocketed during this activism?? Leave LeBron the h@ alonse. Rich and famous doesn’t mean I listen to you. We are a sad pathetic people. Moving out of B more was the best decision I ever made. Even snapped at MVA lady..h@ no get rid of Democrat off my records!!

• Suckas on said:

Wonder why no one is donating to TR mom? All the fake black activist harassing police can’t fund her or is pimping black ghettos too costly?? I laughed when I saw the low money! Come on loud mouthed BLM empty your pockets since you making criminals families rich!! Make this horrible mother rich as well! Freddie raised by an addict. Yes there are two B mores. US parents who care about our children and those that don’t!!

2. Stop the Lies on said:

You seriously believe Lebron’s silence on the issue won’t affect his career? Let’s just sit back and watch how that plays out.

3. At least he speaks out when he can. Michael Jordan has never spoken up or out on any issue involving young black men other than to sell them sneakers, and he the off Chicago for years.

4. Cassandra on said:

He may have heard about what is going on, but it’s his prerogative whether he wants to comment on it. Asking him to start a boycott is a bit too much. That’s putting his job and family on the line. Would you put your livelihood on the line for something that indirectly affects you?

5. Stop the Lies on said:

Still missing the point I see. I said I really don’t care whether he speaks or not. But as a father of 2 sons who is from the state of Cleveland, don’t lie about not knowing about the Tamir Rice case. If LeBron doesn’t want to speak on it, then say that. But don’t lie and say you don’t know about the case. With celebrity comes responsibility, like it or not.

• I get your point however LeBron never said he didn’t know about the situation. He said he takes pride in the knowledge of situations he comments on and he wasn’t on top of this issue so it was hard for him to comment. I’m quite sure that there are some issues going on in our various cities that may have made national news and we still aren’t on top of it and so we don’t comment on them. Sometimes it’s best to not comment on something if you don’t really know what’s going on. That doesn’t make one a liar or coward. Sometimes it simply the smart thing to do.

• leadjustone on said:

No, actually, I get your point. I simply do not agree with it. By the way, where is the “state” of Cleveland? Didn’t know the U.S. had acquired a 51st state….

• Buckeye Mom on said:

As a father of sons LeBron needs to ensure they aren’t robbing hardworking store clerks. Selling drugs on a corner killing their own people. No way in h@ would I let low budget folks pimping ghettos tell me what I should be doing with the career I earned!! LeBron is putting kids through college to stop the cycle of criminals. I’m happy!!

6. leadjustone on said:

La Marr D. has my vote 100% ! Stop the lies needs to get over him or herself. “With celebrity comes responsibility.” Says who? There will be no consequence (nor should there be) for Lebron for not speaking on this issue. At the end of the day, he will still be a multi-millionaire, and the rest of us will go to wherever we go on Monday morning to get that paycheck. Lebron is responsible only to himself and his family. He owes you nothing. He chooses to give back to those in need in his hometown (Akron, by the way), and I’m sure he does charitable work in Cleveland as well. He has shown himself to be an honorable and decent man. Stop the bullying!!!

7. African American Woman on said:

Leave LeBron alone…this so called movement sounds like some Nazi inspired cult. You can’t force people to do things.

8. Stop the Lies on said:

Sidney Poitier
    Marlon Brando
    Burt Lancaster
    Paul Newman
    Joanne Woodward
    Charlton Heston
    Like it or not celebrity and non-celebrity go hand-in-hand and you are not getting my point. My issue isn’t that Lebron doesn’t want to speak on the issue. It’s the cowardly way in which he is avoiding this issue which is happening in his back yard. Don’t lie and say you don’t know about the issue. Lies.

• La Marr D. on said:

I get the point! Internet revolutionaries call people cowards but have not contributed anything to solving the problems of this nation; internet revolutionaries want celebrities to buck dance to their tune but don’t contribute anything to solving the problems.

• Stop the Lies on said:

You’re still missing the point of what I’m saying. All I’m saying is he could have given a better response than pretending to be ignorant about the case. Also, you make a lot of presumptions about my level of activism. You don’t know who I am and what I’ve done. And are you LeBron James? You all in your feelings about this.

9. La Marr D on said:

It is just as cowardly to sit back and expect the celebrities to carry the load of speaking on social issues; meanwhile, internet revolutionaries do nothing but criticize others for not getting involved, but internet revolutions never do anything to make an impact on their neighborhoods; the internet has become a place where anonymous people can act tough and feel like someone special.

• Stop the Lies on said:

Like it or not, with celebrity comes responsibility especially if your celebrity is contingent upon a certain audience. There is no escaping it. If Lebron did not want to be forced to be part of the movement then he never should have spoken up in the first place on past issues. He spoke up on the others? Why not this one? Will he speak up once he has “more knowledge” about it since that is his excuse for not speaking up now? He only seems to speak up when it’s advantageous to his career. It’s cowardly and selfish. Movements are helped by celebrity. Had not the entertainment industry gotten involved with the Civil Rights Movement change would have come much more slowly and painfully.

• La Marr D on said:

@Stop the Lies-Actually, you incorrect about the civil rights movement. Only a few celebrities were involved. The entertainment industry did not contribute to the success of the civil rights movement; it was regular folk attending the churches in the southern states along with SCLC, & SNCC. It was unsung heroes like Fannie Lou Hamer, Bayard Rustin, etc. that most people don’t know about.

• Timekeeeper on said:

Thank you Lamarr D for keeping it 100%. You are so correct on that one. People talking and acting tough and calling people names, its funny but also tragic at the same time. I think Lebron James just wants to be Lebron James not somebody else. We are all concerned about what is going on in Amerika.

• La Marr D on said:

The Black Panther Party, the Black Liberation Army, and there was a white group involved. I don remember their names, but these were people who were not celebrities that contributed the most to the change surrounding the civil rights era.

10. reflections on said:

All african americans even Lebron who has two black boys should be concerned about police violence. No african americans are safe from the police.

11. Stop the Lies on said:

The issue isn’t really about Lebron speaking about the issue. The issue is the cowardly approach he took to not having to speak on it. That is bullshit to claim he has limited knowledge of the case. I know about it all the way in California. How the hell you don’t know about it in your own state? Secondly, if he doesn’t want to speak on it then just say that. Don’t pretend to be ignorant of the subject matter. That’s cowardly. Lebron is a coward as he has consistently proven.

12. specialt757 on said:

TK you’re absolutely correct. I do hear people saying “where are the celebrities” when it comes to social issues. Yeah we had the Harry B, James B, Sydney P, etc. back in the day and for some reason they were not afraid of the backlash, it was STAND FOR SOMETHING or FALL FOR ANYTHING. Now it’s all about the dollar bill. So now celebrities, although they have an opinion, are not willing to risk the $$$, so saying what is politically acceptable seems to appease most folks. But again I say, this is not LeBron’s issue, it’s the community’s. There will always be folks saying, I won’t support you anymore, and then they get over it, especially the armchair quarterbacks, the ones that say what someone should have done or should do.

13. Buckeye Mom on said:

See LeBron I predicted this when you got involved in the other protest issues! Now they won’t allow you to have your own opinion on other issues!! I don’t listen to celebrities. They’re allowed to have a private opinion like everyone else. I hate listening to Tom Joyner sometimes (and I’m a X mas Wish winner) because his guests try and shove their agendas down our throats. I LOVE satellite radio now..NO AL SHARPTON EVER!!! hahaha March for all these dead black kids…….now I need to get ready for the Fiesta Bowl! #GoBucks!!

14. Timekeeeper on said:

@special & cokes

Both of you made statements I second. Division has and always will be the name of the game for the Enemy. You would think by now people of color would recognize the old, tired “divide & conquer” routine but somehow too many continue to fall for the okydoke. One more thing on a larger note concerning celebrities in general, We always ask why they don’t get involved more often and while I think from time to time more of them should , there is a very good reason why they don’t. Because some of these so called black social justice leaders will then attempt to hijack their reputation.

15. specialt757 on said:

I totally agree, this is an attempt at dividing an already divided group of people. Why should this fall in the lap of LaBron? As already stated, this takes the focus off the real issue, the killing of this child by a gung-ho, overzealous and inexperienced cop (who will not face charges) and onto the shoulders of a basketball player. Don’t let them do it LaBron (not that I’m a fan), but it just makes sense. It’s not fair nor is it his responsibility, we all share in this responsibility.
    The crazy part about the baby being killed, is one of the fool’s name is Shaquille Oneill (Davis), he was already in custody. Now I figure his mom had high hopes for him when he was born, I only imagine how disappointed she must be to know her dumb ass son was a part of this unbelievably stupid murder.
    Please believe there will be no marches, the idiot criminals are already detained and are as good as convicted, however, that never seems to be the case when it’s cops killing blacks. Don’t get side-tracked and fall for the okie-doke, even by our OWN people.

16. Why doesn’t Huggy, who defended this foolishness this morning, walk off his job until say, Chicago – his home – stops all the black-on-black violence. He is in the Media and people are influenced by what they hear in the media. People who don’t have anything are always trying to tell others what to do with theirs.

17. LeBron is a basketball player, not at counselor nor a community activist. Leave the man alone. No matter what he says or does he will be in the middle of controversy on both sides.

18. La Marr D on said:

Everyone who has an opinion on What LeBron should do, do not get involve themselves and offer very little strategies to change their condition or neighborhood. Everyone is always looking for someone else to do something instead of getting involved. Just because one has an opinion, doesn’t mean it is the right opinion or something of value to add to the conversation.

19. Touché’ DB, and clearly stated. I also agree, this isn’t something that needs to be fixed per say by LeBron, this is a community issue. This is about teaching our children how to respond with the police and hold ourselves accountable, because at the end of the day, you just want them to come home.

I read about the little girl being shot, in the cross fire of a couple of idiots, once again our children (young men) not knowing the trajectory of bullets. Taking innocent lives, black on black crime is at a most definite all time high….where is the outrage? I say….DOUBLE LIFE in prison, with no possibility of parole, so they can live with what they have done FOREVER!

20. When are we as Black African Americans going to stop allowing issues/opinions to divide us? During the Civil Rights Movement we were a united people. We protested together, were beaten together, died together etc. The movement was bigger than one person and yes celebrities used their platforms without having to give up their livelihood.

The title gives a one word question…..Fair? In my opinion I think it’s completely unfair for him to be put in such a position. I do believe he, like most in the country, are very much aware of the Tamir Rice incident and being put on the spot he answered the best way he could. I agree w/his statement about there being other social issues that he has concerns about and hasn’t commented on (one can’t comment on everything) and this being bigger than one individual (meaning him). For these activists to start a hashtag movement is in a sense trying to force him to do it and this is just so wrong. It takes the focus off of a young black male being needlessly killed, the cop walking free and puts it on a man who should not and is not going to sit out. This “NoJusticeNoLeBron” movement will not only cause problems for him when he does not submit to the request but will also cause our race to be even more divided; there will be people on both sides of the request which is division.

On Christmas day a 1 year old black baby girl was shot while in her mother’s arms and later died. The shooters were two black males. Does anyone care? Will anyone protest? Will this get the media attention it deserves? Will Lebron and others be asked to sit out games if justice is not served? We as black people need to deal with all of the issues hurting our communities and not just the ones where it’s white on black crime.

• specialt757 on said:

D.B. I hear you, but want to clarify something you stated. During the civil rights movement, WE were not ALL united. There were countless blacks who were against this movement and showed it by telling where secret meetings were being held and countless other deceitful actions. However, we ALL benefited from the brutality suffered by the committed. Even during slavery, we were not united. Unfortunately, that’s how it is. You can read the many posts/comments on a daily basis and see that we are always on different sides of an issues that affects us all.

• Timekeeeper on said:

Special, thank you for driving that point home. There are some who have a Disney land feeling about the sixties. Both MLK and Malcolm X were vilified by their own people. We have never been unified and the various opinions on this post prove just that!!!!

21. Stop the Lies on said:

Lebron has shown support for Trayvon Martin and Eric Gardner, but when it comes to Tamir Rice, an issue in his state, he is least informed? Get the !@#$ out of here with that bull%$#@.