Mario Boone, a reporter at WFTV, tweeted out an exclusive video showing a 13-year-old boy being brutally beaten by a Florida police officer:
Boone tweeted separately that the police officer, who was a school resource officer, slammed the boy to the ground. The officer, according to Boone, has been charged with felony abuse as well as student abuse. The officer in question, Mario Badia, had reportedly been suspended with pay after the arrest.
Complex.com is reporting that the 13-year-old boy is suffering from a sprained ankle and wrist. The incident allegedly resulted from the boy engaged in a dispute with his mother which the officer claimed to try to diffuse.
The boy’s mother, Alexis Richmond, disagrees and says her son was just being a kid. Richmond told WFTV, “Justice should be served. He should get time for what he did to my son.” Looking at the video, Richmond added that, “He came in with such a hostile manner like he was ready for war.” Richmond has allegedly hired legal representation and will be pursuing a law suit.
It has almost become an expectation that these sorts of videos where police interactions with Black people and indeed Black children showcase assault. It is no wonder that there continues to be distrust between Black people and the police.
We often do not consider the implications of this trauma on Black children but its high time that we start doing so. It’s high time these interactions come to an end.
Read more about the situation at Complex.
Excessive Force! Colleges That Have Used Violence Against Student Protesters (DETAILS)
1. 1. Yesterday Santa Monica College campus police pepper sprayed nearly 30 students.1 of 6
2. 2. In 1970 the Ohio National Guard murdered 4 students and injured 9 at Kent State University.2 of 6
3. 3. On November 18th, 2011 UC-Davis campus police pepper sprayed students protesting, injuring 11 students in total.3 of 6
4. 4. In 2009 UCLA campus police tasered students protesting tuition hikes.4 of 6
5. 5. On November 14th, 2006, a student identified as Mostafa Tabatabainejad was tasered by campus authorities.5 of 6
6. 6. In March 2010 UCLA campus police tasered students occupying an interstate.6 of 6