HEMPSTEAD, Texas (AP) — A police dashboard video released Tuesday shows that a Texas state trooper drew a stun gun on a black motorist and said, “I will light you up” when the woman refused to get out of her car during a routine traffic stop.

The roadside encounter between the trooper and the driver swiftly escalated (starts at 6:30 in the raw video) into a shouting confrontation as the officer tried to pull 28-year-old Sandra Bland from her vehicle. Days later, she was found dead in jail in a case that has caused her family and supporters to dispute whether she hanged herself with a plastic garbage bag in her cell, as authorities have said.

The video posted by the Texas Department of Public Safety shows the trooper stopping Bland for failure to signal a lane change. After he hands her a written warning, the trooper remarks that Bland seemed irritated. The Illinois woman replies that she is irritated because she had changed lanes to make way for the trooper’s car.

The conversation quickly turns hostile when the officer asks Bland to put out her cigarette and she asks why she can’t smoke in her own car. The trooper then orders Bland to get out of the vehicle. She refuses, and he tells her she is under arrest.

Further refusals to get out bring a threat from the trooper to drag her out. He then pulls out a stun gun and makes the threat about lighting Bland up.

When she finally steps out of the vehicle, the trooper orders her to the side of the road. There, the confrontation continues off-camera but is still audible. The two keep yelling at each other as the officer tries to put Bland in handcuffs and waits for other troopers to arrive.

Out of the camera’s view, Bland goes on protesting her arrest, repeatedly using expletives and calling the officer a “pussy.” At one point, she screams that he’s about to break her wrists and complains that he knocked her head into the ground.

The trooper said in an affidavit that after handcuffing her for becoming combative, she swung her elbows at him and kicked him in his right shin.

In the affidavit released Tuesday, trooper Brian Encinia said he then used force “to subdue Bland to the ground,” and she continued to fight back. He arrested her for assault on a public servant.

The trooper has been placed on administrative leave for violating unspecified police procedures and the Department of Public Safety’s courtesy policy. The agency would not address questions about whether the trooper acted appropriately by drawing his stun gun or pulling her out of the vehicle.

“Regardless of the situation, it doesn’t matter where it happens, a DPS state trooper has got an obligation to exhibit professionalism and be courteous … and that wasn’t the case in this situation,” said Steven McCraw, the department director.

Encinia has been a trooper for just over a year.

Bland was taken to the Waller County Jail about 60 miles northwest of Houston on July 10 and found dead July 13. A Texas Rangers investigation into her death is being supervised by the FBI.

Although a medical examiner has ruled Bland’s death a suicide, supporters insist she was upbeat and looking forward to a new job at Prairie View A&M University, where she graduated in 2009. Bland’s family and clergy members have called for a Justice Department probe, and an independent autopsy has been ordered.

However, Bland posted a video to her Facebook page in March, saying she was suffering from “a little bit of depression as well as PTSD,” or post-traumatic stress disorder. Family members have said nothing in her background suggested she was mentally troubled, and at least one friend said she was just venting after a bad day.

Her death comes after nearly a year of heightened national scrutiny of police and their dealings with black suspects who have been killed by officers.

The case has resonated on social media, with posts questioning the official account and featuring the hashtags #JusticeForSandy and #WhatHappenedToSandyBland. Others referred to #SandySpeaks, the hashtag Bland used in monologues she posted on Facebook in which she talked about police brutality and said she had a calling from God to speak out against racism and injustice.

Court records show Bland had several encounters with police in both Illinois and Texas over the past decade, including repeated traffic stops and two arrests for drunk driving, one of which was later dismissed.

She was also charged twice with possession of a small amount of marijuana. A 2009 case was dismissed, but she pleaded guilty last year to the other charge and was sentenced to 30 days in jail.

A decade earlier, in June 2004, Bland was charged with one count of retail theft of less than $150 in Elmhurst, Illinois. She pleaded guilty and was fined.

The Waller County Sheriff’s Office has acknowledged violating state rules on jail training and the monitoring of inmates.

The Texas Commission on Jail Standards last week cited the jail for not providing documents proving that jailers in the past year had undergone training on interacting with inmates who are mentally disabled or potentially suicidal.

The citation also showed that jailers fell short by not observing inmates in person at least once every hour.

The sheriff’s office said Friday in a statement that jailers checked on Bland via intercom on one occasion rather than in person.

Commission Executive Director Brandon Wood has declined to say if the citation is related to Bland’s death. But sheriff’s officials mention her when explaining the violations, noting that they don’t believe “either one of these deficiencies had any part in the death of Ms. Bland.”

Find Out What Your Favorite Celebs Did On Instagram (09/01-09/07)

34 thoughts on “Dashboard Cam Video From Sandra Bland Arrest Does Not Show Assault [WATCH]

1. African American Woman on said:

Well, , I can tell you aren’t intelligent, since unintelligent people always start calling names because they don’t have enough intelligence to speak their minds while respecting another’s views. Just like you said you aren’t obsessed with white people l, who said I thought I was better than other black people? That’s your opinion based on your personal sense of inferiority. Sorry, but that’s something you need to address, my dear. You continue to speak your mind and I’ll speak mine. Get over it.

• specialt757 on said:

“…sense of inferiority” Chile please. My value and self-worth is way too much for me to think that. You’re a waste of time with your pompous ass.

2. African American Woman on said:

Special, sooooo because I talk about education, financial security, progression and bettering ourselves from within the race; I’m sh***ing on black people? What a joke. So if I start complaining about how the evil white man is destroying my life by operating me like an evil puppetmaster,then I’m cool, right? I talk about positive and progressive people because I refuse to become obsessed with white people. I’m obsessed with black people and how we can improve our lot in life. I always talk about our ancestors and how their legacy moves me to greatness. Obviously, you don’t agree. That’s your business. You keep worrying about white people who probably aren’t giving a second thought about you.

• specialt757 on said:

You’re dumber than I gave you credit for. When the hell did I ever say I was obsessed with white people, I couldn’t care the hell less about white people as I’ve told you time and time again, but you aren’t listening. I never even said white people are evil, those are your words, I know some really great white people so I don’t hate them either, I think your funky attitude stinks. You are so obsessed with putting down black folks every time you post on here, and that is why people thought you were white and you had to clarify, “I might be light-skinned but I’m not white”. That’s because no one can tell by your “better than everybody” stank ass attitude.
      Again, you’re not doing me any favors by coming on here talking about prosperity among and within the black communities, there is plenty of that in our communities. And yes there is bad too and I agree, would could do a lot better. But that still doesn’t justify how blacks are treated when confronted by bad cops who clearly have an agenda.
      But stick to the subject of the article which was clearly about the injustice that Ms. Bland faced by being put in jail in the first place.

3. Something Ain't Right on said:

I hope what they’re saying about the mugshot is not true. The only way they can put that to rest is to post the side shot of her mugshot.

4. Guest on said:

Another unnecessary police interaction. At some point, folks will learn. Some just might grow up & stop throwing the race card. The only thing that sounds fishy is the presence of a plastic bag in her cell. Wth?!?! CONTRABAND! Should’ve never been in there. Something is terribly wrong there

5. African American Woman on said:

I’m not white or obsessed with white people, so I don’t pay that much attention to what they do. I have other things to do with my time

• specialt757 on said:

So you say. You definitely make it a point to never give black people credit for anything. You only come out here and post to point out all the negative behavior of black folks, most definitely males, but females too. Everybody knows you’re educated (did you graduate yet?). You make it a point in letting us know you made a way out of no way, and you did it ALL by yourself. Now you’re here shittin’ on anything black. So no, you say you’re black but I can’t tell.

6. African American Woman on said:

Patricia, soooo you arrived here by boat? Hmmm, you’ve got to be, what? 200 years old. You, nor does anyone else know what exactly happened because none of us were there. Let the investigation commence. Sheesh people, it’s so tired to use every situation that involves a white cop and a black person as an event to spew the old poor victim me, the white man hate me nonsense. If We spent as much energy focusing on taking back our power by not being obsessed with white people and create own own reality, we would need this poor victim me nonsense, but then, most black people wouldn’t want that because that would kill the victim bandwagon. Its almost laughable it’s so silly.

7. Loyce on said:

Remain calm, do not fear under any circumstance! Go home safe then make rational decisions after Prayer and live!

8. patricia on said:

we as people of color are being killed every day.. our children are being arested before they are out of middle school .. just so when they become adults that can not work a good job because they have a record,,they was just killing men.. now it a free for all… this cop was on a power trip,, white people make 100.000.00 to people of color 50.000.00 .. if we are lucky to get a job paying us that among of money.. they still think that we are slave and have no rights.. no equal right in america
    unless you are white

9. Why was she in jail for three days did she not see a judge, Did any relative’s know where and what had happened to her, Did any other inmates talk with her? The cell she was in does hold multiple occupants… questions

10. MoFo on said:

BOTTOM LINE – one again-Do not confront these FOOLS! Get your true justice AFTER that FOOL is out of sight-REMEMBER he HAS A GUN! I have done this after having my tags being run at a traffic light for NO REASON. I just called the DISTRICT ATTORNEY and the next time I saw one of those township FOOLS – their looking at me with the look of why! Or you can call the PUBLIC
    SAFETY DIRECTOR – I have done that – and lodge my complaint! The next time I saw those FOOLS they tried staring me down! I have also called the FOOLS on the phone and laid them out.

Young people – ‘you think you got it like that’ [can challenge police at will like white people] YOU DO NOT! RACISM IS ALIVE AND KICKING. BE SMART AND LIVE. THESE FOOLS WILL KILL YOU.

• specialt757 on said:

I actually agree with you, there is a time and place. I’ve been pulled over, probably justifiable, speeding or some dumb ish, but no matter what, I stayed calm, pissed but calm. I go to court (if it’s in my area) and have my say, sometimes the cops remembered giving me a ticket and sometimes they don’t. But usually works out in my favor. In this case with Ms. Bland the cop was an asshole, there was no need for her to be asked to get out of the car because she seemed irritated. Everyone is irritated when stopped by a cop ESPECIALLY for some bullshit. He should be on unpaid leave at the very minimum.

• pac4me on said:

Everything you said is so correct. we’ve all been stopped by assholes and because we’re irritated and we show it doesn’t mean they have the right to threaten us with bodily harm! She was right, he was a pussy

11. Timekeeeper on said:

Anyone who has driven on a highway for any length of time has had the experience of a cop burrowing down on you in the 4th lane. I have had to get out of the way on more than one occasion. They always appreciate the gesture and keep on going. Unfortunately this dude was on a mission form the get go. Just watching the video sent a chill down my spine.

12. MacBen on said:

He got pissed off because she wasn’t kissing his ass so he amped it up by asking her to put out her cigarette- knowing this would further set her off and give him an excuse to pull her out of the car. This is a classic example of “that bullshit”.

13. Linda on said:

There are severe discrepancies the way motorists of color and white folks are stopped on the roads by law enforcement officers.

Ms. Bland was supposedly pulled over because she did not signal while making a lane change. This is a minor infraction and did not deserve the action taken by the POS PIG.

Why was it necessary for this woman to have to exit her vehicle for such a minor thing?
    Why was this PIG ready to tase this woman if/when she stepped out of her car?

The big question is how does someone hoist themselves up in order to hang themselves-answer-they cannot do this without the help of someone else!

Therefore, Ms. Bland was MURDERED!!!!!!!!

14. Alan C. Lewis on said:

Black people, we are at risk each and every time we encounter the police. As a 6’5″ and 290 lb Black man, I’m automatically a threat to any cop that approaches me.

Ms. Bland, did she deserve this – ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Unfortunately we are at the point in life that we MUST swallow our pride and our egos, comply with the police department and use the proper processes to initiate the complaints.

At the end of the day the goal is to go home alive. This is my teaching to my son. We can make a difference, but there’s a place and time to make that difference.

Pray for our young generation!

• DeeDee on said:

Kates1221 – I’ve just about had enough of your comments!!! I think you are on here just to incite anger! I personally think you are a COWARD!! You would not say any of what you’ve said to ANYONE’s face! Give it a rest!

15. Jessica on said:

After the officer gave her the written warning he should have let her go. His job was done. Just because she seemed irritated doesn’t mean he should have made her get out of her car. He was clearly on a power trip. RIP Sandra Bland

16. African American Woman on said:

Debbie, were you there? You don’t know whether or not they had the right to arrest her. That’s why an investigation is on-going. It would be intelligent to wait for the results, but, then again; black people can do no wrong, right? SMH

• patricia on said:

we have had wrong done to us .. for centry.. when we gt off that bost that you put us on and now you are killing a men, woman and children .. how can you justified this.. the cop was on a power trip.. ands a women is dead because of his action… traffic stop .. how many white people get stop for a traffic stop and die

17. This was truly an unlawful and senseless death death. Outrageous. So what if she questioned the legalities. They had no lawful reason to arrest her. I’m sick of this shit.