ESPN reports that court documents filed last month in Maricopa County, Arizona, detail Johnson’s request that Griner pay $20,000 per month in spousal support, plus $10,000 toward attorney fees. Johnson’s motion also requests that Griner continue car payments on the Mercedes that she purchased for her.
A hearing set for Aug. 17 will review evidence related to Griner’s petition and Johnson’s counter-petition. Johnson’s legal counsel wrote that Griner has “far superior control over the family’s financial resources” and that Johnson is “without the necessary financial means to pay for legal representation in this matter,” in the filing.
The two athletes married May 8, just weeks after being involved in a domestic violence dispute at their home. Johnson announced June 4 that she would miss the WNBA’s upcoming season because she is pregnant. The next day, Griner filed papers requesting the marriage be annulled. She said she was “pressured into marriage under duress by Johnson’s threatening statements.”
In the petition, Griner also said she was unaware when the in vitro fertilization resulting in Johnson’s pregnancy had taken place. The Phoenix Mercury center said the marriage was “based on fraud.”
According to Griner’s petition, neither party is in need of nor entitled to spousal support and both should be responsible for their own legal fees. However, Brittney also requested that she be awarded reasonable attorney fees if she has to defend herself against Glory’s “unreasonable” claims.
In the June 29 filing, Johnson said she cannot seek employment while on leave from the WNBA because she has a “high-risk multiple pregnancy.” She plans to return to the Tulsa Shock at some point after her pregnancy. In the meantime, she’s requesting that her soon-to-be-ex wife help pay “household assistance, personal trainers, and medical care not covered by her current insurance.”
Micro Mini Marriages: Celebs Who Said I Do...But Really Didn't
1. Toya Wright and MemphitzSource:PR 1 of 15
2. Fantasia and KendallSource:Fantasia Instagram 2 of 15
3. Amber Rose & Wiz KalifahSource:PR Photos 3 of 15
4. Andrea Kelly4 of 15
5. Evelyn Lozada & Chad Johnson5 of 15
6. Terrell Owens & Rachel Snider6 of 15
7. Kim Kardashian & Kris Humphries7 of 15
8. Eddie Murphy & Tracey Edmonds8 of 15
9. Britney Spears & Jason Alexander9 of 15
10. Mario Lopez & Ali Landry10 of 15
11. Carmen Electra & Dennis Rodman11 of 15
12. Renée Zellweger & Kenny Chesney12 of 15
13. Jennifer Lopez & Ojani Noa13 of 15
14. Janet Jackson & James DeBarge14 of 15
15. Michael Jackson & Lisa Marie Presley15 of 15
(Photo Source: Brittney Griner Instagram)