Laverne Cox is about to shed her orange prison scrubs for a power suit.
The “Orange Is the New Black” breakout star has been tapped to join CBS’ upcoming legal drama “Doubt,” The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
The drama revolves around a yet-to-be-cast smart, chic, successful defense lawyer at a boutique firm who shockingly gets romantically involved with one of her clients who may or may not be guilty of a brutal crime.
Cox, in one of the biggest showings of diversity yet this pilot season, will co-star as Cameron Wirth, a role specifically created for a transgender actress. The character is described as a transgender Ivy League-educated attorney who is as competitive as she is compassionate. She’s fierce, funny and the fact that she’s experienced injustice first hand makes her fight all the harder for her clients.
“Grey’s Anatomy” alums and married writing duo Tony Phelan and Joan Rater will pen the script and executive produce the CBS Television Studios drama alongside producers Sarah Timberman and Carl Beverly.
For Cox, the role marks her largest gig to date following her Emmy-nominated character Sophia Burset in “Orange.” Cox made history with her Emmy nomination in July, becoming the first openly transgender actress to garner such recognition from the TV Academy.
The GLAAD Award winner has since booked multiple guest roles on series including MTV’s “Faking It,” Bravo’s “Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce,” and most recently, Fox’s “The Mindy Project,” in addition to nabbing an MTV documentary spotlighting trans youth.
Out and Proud Celebrities
1. EJ JohnsonSource:Instagram 1 of 25
2. Robin Roberts announced her sexual orientation on Facebook in 2013. (Photo: AP)2 of 25
3. CNN Anchor Don Lemon3 of 25
4. Previously married to a man for seven years, Wanda Sykes officially came out in 2008.4 of 25
5. NBA player Jason Collins5 of 25
6. Fitness trainer Shaun T came out in 2013 and married his longtime boyfriend.6 of 25
7. Michael Sam announced he was gay in an ESPN interview.7 of 25
8. Singer Meshell Ndegeocello is an open lesbian and huge advocate for gay rights.(PR)8 of 25
9. Orlando Cruz is the first active, openly gay boxer.9 of 25
10. Elton John announced he was gay in 1976, and has been openly out since. (PR)10 of 25
11. Director and Producer Paris Barclay has been with his partner for 14 years. (PR)11 of 25
12. R&B singer Frank Ocean recently divulged to the world that his first love was a man. (AP)12 of 25
13. André Leon Talley, fashion icon and editor at Vogue Magazine. (PR)13 of 25
14. TV personality and hair stylist Miss Lawrence.14 of 25
15. Singer Melissa Etheridge announced she was a lesbian in 1993 and has been a huge gay rights activist since. (PR)15 of 25
16. "Precious" and "The Butler" director Lee Daniels16 of 25
17. Andre Charles or famously known as drag queen RuPaul has been openly gay for many years. (PR)17 of 25
18. Ellen Degeneres and Portia De Rossi have been married for four years. (PR)18 of 25
19. Famous Latino singer Ricky Martin finally came out as gay in 2010. (PR)19 of 25
20. Famous Choreographer Bill T. Jones is openly gay. (PR)20 of 25
21. Former N'Sync band member Lance Bass announced he was gay in 2006. (PR)21 of 25
22. "Fast Car" singer Tracy Chapman. (PR)22 of 25
23. Anderson Cooper came out in an open email to fans. (AP)23 of 25
24. Celebrity hair Stylist and TV personality Derek J.24 of 25
25. Catwalk coach Miss J. Alexander.25 of 25
(Photo Source: PR Photos)