Rapper/mogul Jay Z has made rap music digestible for many people who wouldn’t normally be a fan of the genre. However, those same fans are a little posed off with the superstar rapper because of a piece of jewelry.
Last week, Jay Z was spotted at a Brooklyn Nets basketball game with his wife Beyonce. While at the game, Jay was wearing a chain that had a medallion on it that had an image representative of the Five Percent Nation. Nobody noticed the chain until a few days ago and now some white people are up in arms. The Five Percent Nation, popular in New York City in the 80′ s and 90’s, subscribes to the idea that whites are “weak and wicked.”
Another reason some people have gotten upset about the chain and medallion because the another one of the tenets of the Five Percent Nation is that black men hold the power of God within them.
Jay Z was asked if the chain held any special meaning to him and he replied with a vague, “A little bit.” The “Oceans” rapper has been linked to the religious organization previously during his promotional tour for his last album Magna Carta Holy Grail.
He was photographed wearing a medallion similar to the one he wore to the Nets game and on track from “MCHG” named “Heaven, ” Jay spits the Five Percent Nation’s acronym for Allah. Jay raps, “Arm, leg, leg, arm, head – this is God body/Knowledge, wisdom, freedom, understanding, we just want our equality.”
When Jay Z’s fashion choice was brought to the attention of Five Percent Nation representative Saladin Allah, he wasn’t pleased at all.
Saladin Allah said, ‘Jay Z is not an active member — no one has vouched for him. It was always understood that you don’t wear the regalia if you don’t totally subscribe to the life.”
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Celebrity Eyebrows: Big, Bushy or Beautiful?
19 photos Launch gallery
1. Kevin Ollie
1 of 19
2. Serena Williams is one of our favorites but during her big win to earn her 17th major tennis title more people on social media were talking about the tennis superstar's big, bushy eyebrows!
2 of 19
3. NBA star Anthony Davis, was the original inspiration for this gallery, his unibrow is and will be his signature look.
3 of 19
4. Grammy Award winner Lauryn Hill has always rocked some big brows. They're back in style. (AP)
4 of 19
5. Basketball player Emanuel "Tiki" Mayben is rocking a large unibrow. Not a great look. (AP)
5 of 19
6. Grammy Award winner Jill Scott has always embraced the big and beautiful brows. (AP)
6 of 19
7. Drake was the inspiration for comedian Affion Crockett to do a parody about his bushy brows. (PR Photos)
7 of 19
8. This talented little beauty, Janelle Monae, also has some big beautiful brows. (AP Photos)
8 of 19
9. R&B singer, songwriter and producer Maxwell has some great eyebrows. (PR Photos)
9 of 19
10. REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.
10 of 19
11. Actress Brooke Shields' eyebrows have always been a topic. She wears them well and big brows are back! (PR Photos)
11 of 19
12. Director, screenwriter, author and producer, Antwone Fisher has a unibrow. (PR Photos)
12 of 19
13. Extra correspondent Terri Seymour is blessed with beauty, charm and some big beautiful eyebrows. (PR Photos)
13 of 19
14. Actress Audrey Hepburn kept her eyesbrow thick back in the day when thin was in. (AP Photos)
14 of 19
15. Rapper and producer J Cole was blessed with a set of really bushy brows. (PR Photos)
15 of 19
16. Joe Jonas started out as a teen heart throb but has become a handsome man with a unibrow. (PR Photos)
16 of 19
17. Actor Sam Waterston has some large eyebrows and looks a lot like his friend and namesake Sam the Eagle (inset).(PR Photos)
17 of 19
18. Bert and Ernie of Sesame Street fame. Bert got all the brows and Ernie got none. (AP Photos)
18 of 19
19. REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.
19 of 19