Even though Brad Pitt has a small role in “12 Years A Slave,” as the Canadian man who helps obtain the release of the film’s central character, Solomon Northrup – played by Chiwetel Ejiofor – the poster used in the marketing of the film in Italy would have you to believe otherwise.
As you can see, the Italian “12 Years A Slave” poster makes Pitt, who’s also a producer of the film, the focal point, with Ejiofor relegated to secondary status in the lower portion of the artwork.
Yes, we know. All we can do is shake our head and wonder how in the hell can this be happening in 2013. If this isn’t a slap in the face we don’t know what else it could possibly be when you consider that Ejiofor was nominated for a Golden Globe for his incredible performance in the film.
In any event, info about the poster came via a Tumble posting by a user whose handle is Carefree Black Girl. From there it was picked up on Twitter and other social media sites.
“I’ve been following the press for months and I can’t wait to watch it but REALLY? I don’t remember Brad Pitt being the protagonist of the film or having such a pivotal role in the story to stay in the middle of the poster,” the blogger tweeted. ”I sure don’t know anything about marketing strategy to appeal audiences but isn’t this going too far?”
Buzzfeed points out that other marketing materials for the film, which is translated to “12 Anni Schiavo” for Italian audiences, do feature Ejiofor more prominently. He is the unavoidable star of the trailer that was released in Italy earlier this month. In addition to the Brad Pitt, another Italian poster focuses on co-star Michael Fassbender, who plays an amoral slave owner in the film.
Well, now that the story is out and the Italians have been put on blast, news has come that Lionsgate, the studio behind the international distribution of the film said they will recall Italian posters that focus on Pitt (and Michael Fassbender).
Fox Searchlight is distributing the film in the U.S. and Canada. In case you need to be reminded, here’s the U.S. version of the poster featuring Ejiofor:
'12 Years a Slave' L.A. Premiere Red Carpet
9 photos Launch gallery
1. The cast of "12 Years a Slave" attends the L.A. premiere screening. (Photo: Jasmine Crestwell)
1 of 9
2. Common attends the L.A. premiere screening. (Photo: Jasmine Crestwell)
2 of 9
3. John Ridley attends the L.A. premiere screening. (Photo: Jasmine Crestwell)
3 of 9
4. Kelsey Scott attends the L.A. premiere screening. (Photo: Jasmine Crestwell)
4 of 9
5. Louis Gossett attends the L.A. premiere screening. (Photo: Jasmine Crestwell)
5 of 9
6. Lupita Nyongo'o attends the L.A. premiere screening. (Photo: Jasmine Crestwell)
6 of 9
7. Lupita Nyongo'o attends the L.A. premiere screening. (Photo: Jasmine Crestwell)
7 of 9
8. Emily Storm Reid attends the L.A. premiere screening. (Photo: Jasmine Crestwell)
8 of 9
9. Emily Storm Reid attends the L.A. premiere screening. (Photo: Jasmine Crestwell)
9 of 9
Favorite Celebrity Imports
22 photos Launch gallery
1. Amethyst Amelia Kelly, better known by her stage name Iggy Azalea, is an Australian recording artist from Mullumbimby, New South Wales.
1 of 22
2. Rita Sahatçiu Ora is a British singer, songwriter and actress. Her debut studio album, Ora, debuted at number one in the United Kingdom.
2 of 22
3. Sam Smith was born in London, England and an alumnus of Youth Music Theatre UK and starred in their 2007 production of "Oh! Carol".
3 of 22
4. Boris Kodjoe is an Austrian-born German actor and former fashion model who works primarily in the States. YAY! (PR)
4 of 22
5. Singer & Actor Rihanna was born in a parish in Barbados called St. Michael. (Photos: PR)
5 of 22
6. Actor Idris Elba was born in England has found fame on both sides of the pond. (Photos: PR)
6 of 22
7. Singer Melanie Fiona is from Toronto, Canada.
7 of 22
8. Actor turned rapper, Aubrey Drake Graham was born in Toronto, Ontario. (Photos: PR)
8 of 22
9. Terri Seymour was born in England and is the American Idol correspondent for FOX 11 in LA. (PR Photos)
9 of 22
10. Actor Chiwetel Ejiofor was born in London to Nigerian parents and started acting on stage as a teenager. (Photos: PR)
10 of 22
11. Actor Wentworth Miller was born in England and is the lean, hunky star of TV's Prison Break. (Photos: PR)
11 of 22
12. London born Estelle is an English Grammy Award winning R&B singer & songwriter, rapper and record producer. (Photos: PR)
12 of 22
13. Downtown Julie Brown, born in Great Britain is an actress and former MTV VJ. She currently resides in LA. (PR Photos)
13 of 22
14. Wyclef was born in Haiti.
14 of 22
15. Naomi Campbell is a British model and was one of six models of her generation declared "supermodels" by the fashion world.
15 of 22
16. Tamia was born in Windsor, Ontario.
16 of 22
17. Taio Cruz is an English singer-songwriter, record producer, occasional rapper, and entrepreneur. (PR Photos)
17 of 22
18. Actress Thandie Newton is a British actress who has found fame on both sides of the pond. (Photos: PR)
18 of 22
19. Award winning actor and theatre director Delroy Lindo has also found fame on both sides of the pond. (PR Photos)
19 of 22
20. Supermodel Iman was born in Somalia, attended University of Nairobi where a photographer discovered her. (PR Photos)
20 of 22
21. Djimon Hounsou is a Beninese actor and model and has been nominated for two Academy Awards. (PR Photos)
21 of 22
22. Naomie Melanie Harris is an screen actress in both England and the United States. (Photo: AP)
22 of 22