Brandy Norwood was a huge fan of Whitney Houston and one year after her death, the singer is still in shock.
Looking back on how the late Whitney’s life transformed before the world’s eyes, Brandy supposes it was the loss of her voice that eventually drove Whitney over the edge.
“I understand what that [losing your voice] feels like,” Brandy told The Boom Box. “I don’t understand to that degree, but I understand, you know, because I feel like when I don’t have my instrument, I don’t really have me … It’s almost who you are. Of course, there’s more to you than your voice, but that’s what you use to share. That’s what you use to give. It’s your purpose. It’s what you were born to do … it probably drove her insane [when it faltered]. It probably drove her insane.”
For a woman in mourning, perhaps suggesting her most admired singer went insane wasn’t the best choice of words.
Despite all of that, Brandy opened up and explained that she regrets not reestablishing a connection with Whitney over the years, adding that her passing was particularly difficult to deal with.
Brandy honored the late singer by naming her latest album “Two Eleven” which represents Brandy’s birthday and Whitney’s passing.
Teen Singing Sensations Who Still Got It
24 photos Launch gallery
1. Jordin Sparks
1 of 24
2. Jordin Sparks
2 of 24
3 of 24
4 of 24
5. Aretha Franklin
5 of 24
6. Aretha Franklin
6 of 24
7. Little Stevie Wonder
7 of 24
8. Stevie Wonder
8 of 24
9. Janet Jackson
9 of 24
10. Janet Jackson
10 of 24
11 of 24
12 of 24
13 of 24
14 of 24
15. Trey Songz was discovered by record producer Troy Taylor at a talent show in 2000 when he was 16 years old.
15 of 24
16. At 33, he has released 6 albums, had several hit singles, won numerous awards and has added acting to his resume. (AP)
16 of 24
17. Beyonce was 10 when she recorded 632-5792, performed locally with Destiny's Child & signed to Columbia Records in 1997.
17 of 24
18. Beyonce is 33 and as a solo artist has sold over 75M records worldwide and has earned numerous awards and honors. (AP)
18 of 24
19. Chris Brown was discovered at age 13 by Hitmission Records, a local production team. At age 15, released 'Run It'
19 of 24
20. Brown is now 25. His personal life has taken some hits but his professional life is definitely going well.
20 of 24
21. Brandy begin entering talent contest when she was 11, released 1st album at 15 and starred in the sitcom 'Moesha.'
21 of 24
22. At 35, she continues to sing and has added a bit more acting to his resume
22 of 24
23. Rihanna's career began at 15 when she met record producer Evan Rogers, came to the US at 16 & signed with Jay-Z. Youtube
23 of 24
24. At 25, she has been named the best-selling digital artist of all time and sold over 47,571,000 singles & albums. (AP)
24 of 24