Donald Trump’s latest controversy is something that didn’t really surprise anyone (coming from him) but it did shine a brighter light on the rape and sexual harassment discussion. Trump’s brand of “locker room banter” isn’t exclusive to him. That type of talk has been around since genitals themselves.
While not always as extreme, boys often talk trash about what they want and would do to women they find attractive and you can attribute that to the ongoing competition they’re involved in at an early age. By the time a boy is in middle school, the pressure is on to rack up girls by any means necessary. The insecurity that comes with growing up male and an inflated sense of competitive Neanderthal thinking follows boys well into adulthood. It then mutates into the very same philosophy just shared by the man who could be the next Leader of the Free World. Isn’t that a scary thought?
We can justifiably dog Trump all we want but from his lifestyle perspective, he’s had a long run of seeing women as nothing more than sexual achievements. Success and money are prime nutrients for a p-grabbing maniac in the making. We see this so much in sports and entertainment as well. So many women are willing to offer themselves up to wealthy, powerful men and boys pick up on that early.
Young boys see shallow men attracting shallow women with shallow trinkets and figure that’s the way the world works. Our society shows us that having a good personality is only necessary for men who are broke or completely unattractive. Everyone loves a playboy and since it’s human nature to choose the path of least resistance, boys learn that there’ s no need to deal with a woman who won’t put up with being a walking stress ball.
If this behavior isn’t checked early and corrected, I guarantee you that a young man will eventually subscribe to the belief that every woman wants to be groped by a total zero as long as there’s enough zeroes in his bank account. This fact doesn’t excuse being a sexual predator. But having an understanding of where a lot of this craziness comes from is a major part of getting rid of it.
Shaping the perspective of how boys see women and themselves is among a parent’s most important job. Merely telling them that Trump-like behavior is unacceptable isn’t going to cut it. Beating them in the head about rape culture is not going to work. Boys need to know early on that women aren’t conquests or playthings that happen to not have penises. We have to teach our sons how attractive respect and honor is. They need to know that having money and success is great but having solid character to build all of that on is what leads you to greatness.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Larry Hester is a Brooklyn-born writer who’s written for Vibe, BET.com, The Source, Complex and more. He now resides in Newark, New Jersey with his wife and son. He welcomes any parenting advice or encouragement. Check him out on Facebook and Twitter @almostcooldad.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31