WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (AP) — The newest members of the film academy say the #OscarsSoWhite crisis inspired them to seek membership.
At a private reception Monday for the latest academy inductees, actors Chadwick Boseman and Rita Wilson were among the new members who said they joined the organization to advance the diversity discussion in the film industry.
“I felt obligated to join,” said Boseman, who plays Thurgood Marshall and Marvel hero Black Panther in upcoming films. “After a certain number of years when you see something happen and you feel like there are worthy films that should be nominated or presented, yeah, you have to join. You have to be a voice.”
Wilson said #OscarsSoWhite moved her to join the organization her husband, Tom Hanks, has been active with for years.
“I have never been a member and I thought this is the right time,” she said. “It feels right because it seemed to me the academy was really open to hearing what the issues were, not only with color but with women and all sorts of diversity.”
After two years of an all-white slate of acting nominees for the Academy Awards spawned its own hashtag, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences made significant changes to its voting practices and announced intentions to double the number of female and minority members by 2020. The organization has historically been overwhelmingly white and male.
Monday’s reception at Catch restaurant in West Hollywood, California, celebrated the largest and most diverse class of invitees to date.
“You are proof that the academy is committed to and working toward its goal of inclusion,” academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs told the guests as they sipped Champagne and snacked on lobster mac and cheese. “Together, you are among the 683 new members of the academy.”
The organization’s inclusion efforts inspired Lisa Taback, a new member of the public relations branch.
“I think they’re on a great track,” she said, “Certainly reaching out to more women and trying to find a little more of a gender balance.”
Screenwriter Phyllis Nagy said she wants to “open up the diversity issue” now that she’s an academy member.
“I think we have to address everything,” she said. “It’s not just Oscars so white. It’s Oscars so male, Oscars so straight…Hopefully the new member initiative that the academy announced will help.”
The momentum is there, said veteran publicist Lisa Taback., who joined the organization this year.
“I think they’re on a great track,” she said, “certainly reaching out to more women and trying to find a little more of a gender balance, so that’s very exciting to me and important to me.”
The party had little agenda other than to mingle and enjoy. Boone Isaacs briefly addressed the crowd, followed by academy chief Dawn Hudson, who joked about the event coinciding with the presidential debate.
“I’m so impressed that you all came tonight,” she said. “It just proves that art trumps politics.”
She urged the new members to take their new responsibilities seriously by voting for Oscar nominees and winners,
“You can vote all year round at the academy,” she quipped, referring to the organization’s various contests for emerging talents.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Academy’s Newest Members Hope To Change #OscarsSoWhite