PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A kindergartner abducted from her school was missing for six hours before her family learned she was gone, witnesses testified Monday as a young woman’s kidnapping and sexual assault trial opened.
Former child care worker Christina Regusters, 21, is the lone person charged in the brazen attack, although the defense has said others must be involved. The little girl herself believes she was attacked by a man, because that’s what she was told when blindfolded, a prosecutor said.
“This is the man your mommy sold you to,” the girl was told earlier as she was shown a cellphone photo, according to Assistant District Attorney Erin O’Brien.
The woman who signed the girl out of her classroom had donned a Muslim veil and floor-length khamir to pose as the child’s mother at Bryant Elementary School on Jan. 14, 2013.
The substitute teacher testified that the pair seemed to enter the classroom together as the class ate breakfast. He later asked her to sign the girl out at the office, but the woman said she had already done so, substitute teacher Reginald Littlejohn testified.
The woman apparently was never asked for identification at the front door, a violation of school security rules. The girl’s family has a lawsuit pending against the school district, which did not realize the girl was gone until a worker for her after-school program came to pick her up at the end of the day.
“She is an outstanding, wonderful little youngster, who has sustained just the most terrible, lifelong, devastating injuries, both physical and emotional,” family lawyer Thomas Kline said Monday.
The girl was stuffed into a laundry bag as she was carried into a west Philadelphia home, where she heard a talking bird, one of several clues that led police to Regusters, O’Brien said. She was sexually assaulted with an unknown object, and later abandoned the next morning on a playground, wearing only a T-shirt, the prosecutor said.
“I’ve been stolen,” she told a man who found her crying under a slide.
As the girl was held captive overnight, her mother “was living every parent’s worst nightmare,” O’Brien said. “Why? Why would a 19-year-old female do this?”
Regusters had been suspended from her job at an off-site program the child attended after school, and had earlier molested a young female relative, O’Brien said.
Defense lawyer W. Fred Harrison Jr. said his client had been physically assaulted by her father as a girl, and raped by an unknown assailant in 2012.
However, he asked the jury not to “let sympathy come in and cloud your judgment” for either the victim or his client. And he noted that witnesses at the school described the intruder as 5-foot-10 and pregnant, while the victim initially said she had dark skin. That description later changed to a lighter complexion — which his client has — during a second police interview, he said, suggesting undue influence.
Jurors will hear allegations that Regusters had searched online for information about destroying DNA evidence — her DNA was found on the girl’s T-shirt — and buying Muslim clothing.
They also will hear from the now 7-year-old victim.
“She has told her story many times,” Kline said. “I have no doubt she will rise to the occasion when she is called to testify.”
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
(Photo Source: AP)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25