Race scholar, civil rights activist, humanitarian, and talk show radio host Rush Limbaugh (pictured) wants everyone – particularly Attorney General Eric Holder – to shut up about certain opposition to President Barack Obama being fueled by racism.
Speaking with ABC News, Holder addressed the role race plays when it comes to treatment of him and President Obama and their respective predecessors.
“There’s a certain level of vehemence, it seems to me, that’s directed at me [and] directed at the President. You know, people talking about taking their country back. … There’s a certain racial component to this for some people. I don’t think this is the thing that is a main driver, but for some there’s a racial animus.”
Following Holder’s interview with ABC News, Limbaugh – who has made millions off of racists who don’t like to be called “racists” – said Holder’s remarks are simply “not true.” If anything, Limbaugh seemed to insinuate Holder ought to be grateful to Republicans because they appeased President Obama by supporting Holder’s nomination.
I’m over here cackling like “Madea” at a cookout right now.
In any event, Limbaugh claimed, “The Republicans bent themselves into as many shapes as they could to agree with this President. They went out of the way to praise Holder’s nomination. I’ll never forget that.”
Considering Limbaugh’s penchant for distortion as well as his noted past recreational activities, I’d rather not rely on Limbaugh’s memory.
While Holder did receive a unanimous vote in 1997, when he was appointed Deputy Attorney General, 21 Republican senators voted against his nomination as Attorney General in 2009. And as Neil A. Lewis reported in the New York Times at the time, there were Republicans who wanted to give Holder a much harder confirmation process.
Still, Limbaugh went on to say, “All of these so-called conservative media types praising the nomination of Eric Holder, and all they were doing, they didn’t mean it, because it wasn’t a good nomination. They were simply trying to curry favor and say, ‘See, we’re not racists. See, we’re not bigots. See, we’re not prejudiced or any of this stuff.’”
Well, right wing news site Town Hall addressed Holder’s nomination with the headline “Obama Nominates Cop Killer Advocate to Head DOJ Civil Rights Division.” They called him a “racist” too…naturally. Meanwhile, the Heritage Foundation addressed their criticism of Holder more soberly, but nonetheless, said they were not elated with Obama’s choice to head the Department of Justice either.
More importantly, Limbaugh has a dimwitted understanding of how racism works: It is not a Black and White issue nor can saying, “See! I voted for a Black!” discount the possibility that you can still harbor racial prejudices. Funny enough, Limbaugh claimed that Holder was “playing the role of victim.” Meanwhile, he feigns victimhood time and time again for being called on his racist, sexist, and occasionally homophobic banter on radio.
Mind you, this is all in defense of the party that’s actively making it harder for people to vote while enabling a certain key voting bloc to give hell to immigrant children in search of a better way of life.
That said, I’m impressed that Rush Limbaugh can confidently continue to speak like he’s still high all the time, but far more appreciative of Eric Holder for speaking truth about what many of us can plainly see.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31