PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A judge in Pennsylvania dismissed the last of five sex-abuse lawsuits filed against the Emmy-winning puppeteer who voiced the “Sesame Street” character Elmo.

The ruling did not weigh the merits of the claims but said 25-year-old accuser Sheldon Stephens filed suit too late against actor Kevin Clash.

Stephens accused Clash, now 53, of luring him into a sexual relationship after they met at a 2004 networking event for actors when he was about 16.

Four similar lawsuits involving other accusers were previously dismissed in New York, where Clash lives, defense lawyer Michael Berger said.

“We’re delighted with the result, and very happy that Kevin can go on with his life,” Berger said.

U.S. District Judge Christopher Conner found Thursday that Stephens failed to sue by age 19 under laws in New York, where their meetings took place. Stephens had sued in Pennsylvania, where longer time limits apply. He lives in Harrisburg.

“This ruling highlights the need for a window in New York to allow victims to have their day in court,” said Stephens’ lawyer, Jeff Herman, who said an appeal was possible. “We are pleased to give victims like Sheldon Stephens a voice, even if legal technicalities preclude this case from moving forward.”

The Associated Press does not typically name people who say they have been sexually assaulted, but Stephens has been public about his identity.

Clash resigned from “Sesame Street” amid the accusations, even as he continued to rack up Daytime Emmy Awards for his work. He had spent 28 years playing Elmo on the popular Public Broadcasting Service show, winning more than two dozen Emmys.

He never was charged criminally over any of the allegations, Berger said.

“Kevin is gratified that once again the courts have dismissed the claims against him,” Clash spokesman Nicholas Peters said. “We believe we (can) … begin to turn our full attention to restoring Kevin’s personal and professional reputation … as an accomplished and respected artist.”

Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.

REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.

(Photo Source: PR Photos)

Also On Black America Web:

3 thoughts on “Last Sex-Abuse Lawsuit Against Elmo Actor Tossed

  1. candi ogburn on said:

    And how ignorant is this lecia person to be shocked that the monster prefers little boys to girls and not the fact that he molests children. And before u say the courts said he didnt do it. No they threw it out because the poor victims were too scared to come forward till it was too late. Statute of limitations. Which is a crock of shit. Especially when you have multiple victims.

  2. candi ogburn on said:

    Ok lets put a child molester back around kids. I am sick of society being scared to tell a black man that he is wrong when he IS WRONG. this man is disgusting and should have his penis chopped off. And should never be around children again. Shame on sesame street if they continue to employ him. Disturbing!!!

Add Your Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

×
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,815 other followers