Actress/comedienne Kym Whitley isn’t turning down any roles despite the success of her OWN reality show Raising Whitley. She now has a role on the ABC Family show Young and Hungry, which premieres this Wednesday at 8 p.m. The show is about a food blogger, Gabi (Emily Osment) who gets a job as a personal chef to a tech entrepreneur, Josh (Johnathan Sadowski). Sparks, of course, ensue.
“If they’d given this to me years ago, I could have been young and hungry, now I’m old and full,” laughs Whitley. “I am playing the help, I am playing the housekeeper but I’m like an executive housekeeper. I wear silk and pearls and it’s kinda like Marla Gibbs on The Jeffersons. I don’t do nothing but fuss and talk smack and walk around.”
Whitley says she got the role through guest appearances on ABC Family Shows like Baby Daddy. She was offered the role and liked the script and the chance to trade barbs with Entourage’s Rex Lee, who also appears on the show, so she signed on.
Like most of the socially connected world, Whitley has been following the saga of Jeremy Meeks, the world’s hottest convicted felon. She says that half the problem is that he’s lightskinned.
“We like a little bad boy,” Whitley says. “ This is the problem. He’s light-skinned. But light-skinned and bad boy just don’t mix. Ask Shemar Moore. He’s been struggling to be a bad boy on TV for years. God rest his soul, but Michael Clarke Duncan had done it, nobody would have been looking his way. That boy came on there with those light eyes and that little teardrop…I’ve already embroidered some panties with my number on them to send to the jail.”
Whitley says men do the same thing.
“Ask LisaRaye and Omarosa. They keep a man. Men love that – you be light-skinned or dark-sinned, it don’t matter but they love that little bit of challenge.”
As for her own son, Joshua, Whitley says she wants him to be a good guy – to a point.
“I want him to be a good guy. But I don’t want him to be a punk, now hold up. Cause there are women out there like Sybil [ Wilkes.] I don’t want him being used and kicked to the curb. Because women can be nasty. We’re like ‘He’s so nice,’ and then a year later, we’re bored. We like a little challenge.”
Listen to Kym talk more about Jeremy Meeks and why teardrop tatts are a no-no in the audio above.
(Photo: PR Photos)
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30