Actress/comedienne Kym Whitley isn’t turning down any roles despite the success of her OWN reality show Raising Whitley. She now has a role on the ABC Family show Young and Hungry, which premieres this Wednesday at 8 p.m. The show is about a food blogger, Gabi (Emily Osment) who gets a job as a personal chef to a tech entrepreneur, Josh (Johnathan Sadowski). Sparks, of course, ensue.
“If they’d given this to me years ago, I could have been young and hungry, now I’m old and full,” laughs Whitley. “I am playing the help, I am playing the housekeeper but I’m like an executive housekeeper. I wear silk and pearls and it’s kinda like Marla Gibbs on The Jeffersons. I don’t do nothing but fuss and talk smack and walk around.”
Whitley says she got the role through guest appearances on ABC Family Shows like Baby Daddy. She was offered the role and liked the script and the chance to trade barbs with Entourage’s Rex Lee, who also appears on the show, so she signed on.
Like most of the socially connected world, Whitley has been following the saga of Jeremy Meeks, the world’s hottest convicted felon. She says that half the problem is that he’s lightskinned.
“We like a little bad boy,” Whitley says. “ This is the problem. He’s light-skinned. But light-skinned and bad boy just don’t mix. Ask Shemar Moore. He’s been struggling to be a bad boy on TV for years. God rest his soul, but Michael Clarke Duncan had done it, nobody would have been looking his way. That boy came on there with those light eyes and that little teardrop…I’ve already embroidered some panties with my number on them to send to the jail.”
Whitley says men do the same thing.
“Ask LisaRaye and Omarosa. They keep a man. Men love that – you be light-skinned or dark-sinned, it don’t matter but they love that little bit of challenge.”
As for her own son, Joshua, Whitley says she wants him to be a good guy – to a point.
“I want him to be a good guy. But I don’t want him to be a punk, now hold up. Cause there are women out there like Sybil [ Wilkes.] I don’t want him being used and kicked to the curb. Because women can be nasty. We’re like ‘He’s so nice,’ and then a year later, we’re bored. We like a little challenge.”
Listen to Kym talk more about Jeremy Meeks and why teardrop tatts are a no-no in the audio above.
(Photo: PR Photos)
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31