Actress/comedienne Kym Whitley isn’t turning down any roles despite the success of her OWN reality show Raising Whitley. She now has a role on the ABC Family show Young and Hungry, which premieres this Wednesday at 8 p.m. The show is about a food blogger, Gabi (Emily Osment) who gets a job as a personal chef to a tech entrepreneur, Josh (Johnathan Sadowski). Sparks, of course, ensue.
“If they’d given this to me years ago, I could have been young and hungry, now I’m old and full,” laughs Whitley. “I am playing the help, I am playing the housekeeper but I’m like an executive housekeeper. I wear silk and pearls and it’s kinda like Marla Gibbs on The Jeffersons. I don’t do nothing but fuss and talk smack and walk around.”
Whitley says she got the role through guest appearances on ABC Family Shows like Baby Daddy. She was offered the role and liked the script and the chance to trade barbs with Entourage’s Rex Lee, who also appears on the show, so she signed on.
Like most of the socially connected world, Whitley has been following the saga of Jeremy Meeks, the world’s hottest convicted felon. She says that half the problem is that he’s lightskinned.
“We like a little bad boy,” Whitley says. “ This is the problem. He’s light-skinned. But light-skinned and bad boy just don’t mix. Ask Shemar Moore. He’s been struggling to be a bad boy on TV for years. God rest his soul, but Michael Clarke Duncan had done it, nobody would have been looking his way. That boy came on there with those light eyes and that little teardrop…I’ve already embroidered some panties with my number on them to send to the jail.”
Whitley says men do the same thing.
“Ask LisaRaye and Omarosa. They keep a man. Men love that – you be light-skinned or dark-sinned, it don’t matter but they love that little bit of challenge.”
As for her own son, Joshua, Whitley says she wants him to be a good guy – to a point.
“I want him to be a good guy. But I don’t want him to be a punk, now hold up. Cause there are women out there like Sybil [ Wilkes.] I don’t want him being used and kicked to the curb. Because women can be nasty. We’re like ‘He’s so nice,’ and then a year later, we’re bored. We like a little challenge.”
Listen to Kym talk more about Jeremy Meeks and why teardrop tatts are a no-no in the audio above.
(Photo: PR Photos)
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25