Ted Galatis, 52, a city commissioner in Wilton Manors, Florida, has apologized for using the n-word in a confrontation with a woman in a Publix parking lot on June 1, but residents are still calling for his resignation, reports the Sun-Sentinel.
According to a police report released on June 5, Galatis and his wife were leaving a local Publix when a car behind them began honking the horn. Galatis allegedly got out of his car to confront the occupants of the vehicle, who were all Black.
That’s when Galatis began hurling the “n-word” at them in a fit of rage.
“[Driver] stated that T Galatis began calling her and her passengers ‘N_____’ and at that point she requested for police to respond,” the police report reads. “[Driver] stated that she was upset that T Galatis called her and the passengers of her vehicle ‘N____’ and did not want him to get away with it.”
Galatis apologized for using the racial slur but said that he only did it because he felt “threatened.”
“I apologize for my use of the ’N’ word. It is something I never say,” Galatis said in statement. “I offer no excuse, other than it was uttered when I was being threatened in front of my own home.”
Galatis also apologized during a commission meeting, stating: “The last thing I wanted to do was bring embarrassment upon the city, my wife and my family. I apologize from the bottom of my heart for the use of that word. That is not me.”
Galatis also claims that he didn’t use the n-word until a Black man got out of the car and said, “What’s your problem White boy?”
Galatis’ wife, Donna, claims that one occupant threatened her by saying, “White bi*ch, I’ll slice you up.”
Naomi Parker, a friend of Galatis who is running for commissioner, said that he should resign:
“This is probably the hardest night, Ted, but I need you to resign,” Parker said. “My kids have played at your pool. I’ve eaten food out of your house, and all it took was for me to make you angry and I would have been called a n****r. It’s not ‘the n-word.’ The word is n****r. It’s not ‘the n-word.’”
Galatis’ parking lot racism comes on the heels of Narvell Benning being verbally assaulted by Janelle Ambrosia in a Dollar General parking lot in Cheektowaga, New York.
Benning recorded the exchange, which goes on for approximately four minutes and, during that time, Ambrosia loudly flings the “n-word” at him and eventually threatens to throw her coffee on him.
“I called you a n–ger. You’re a n–ger! Nasty f–king n–ger!”
Read more on Benning’s story here.
The incident also comes a month after Robert Copeland, 82, the former police commissioner Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, resigned after news that he called President Barack Obama spread like wildfire.
“I believe I did use the “n-word” in reference to the current occupant of the Whitehouse,” Copeland said in an email to his fellow police commissioners. “For this, I do not apologize – he meets and exceeds my criteria for such.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30