The judge in George Zimmerman’s defamation lawsuit against NBC Universal is scheduled to hear arguments on a request by the media company to toss the case.
A hearing has been set for June 19, reports the AP. The case had been postponed pending the conclusion of the Trayvon Martin shooting case. Zimmerman was acquitted of second-degree murder last July in the shooting death of the 17-year-old in Florida.
The former neighborhood watch volunteer sued NBC in 2012, claiming he was defamed when the network edited his 911 call to police after Martin’s shooting to make it sound like he was racist.
NBC Universal said in a court filing that Zimmerman failed to comply with Florida’s statute regarding retraction requests after the March 2012 broadcasts at issue. It also argued that the harms Zimmerman says he suffered were not caused by the broadcasts.
#FightingForTrayvon: Images of Nationwide Protests
1. Protestors converge on Union Square, Sunday, July 14, 2013, in New York. (Photo: AP)1 of 16
2. A BART police vehicle is vandalized during a protest after George Zimmerman in Oakland, Calif. (Photo: AP)2 of 16
3. Workers board up windows at Flora restaurant in downtown Oakland, Calif., early Sunday, July 14, 2013, following protests. (Photo: AP)3 of 16
4. Demonstrators march through the Lower East Side neighborhood of Manhattan in New York, Sunday, July 14, 2013. (Photo: AP)4 of 16
5. A window is smashed at a Chase Bank in Oakland, Calif. (Photo: AP)5 of 16
6. Demonstrators converge on Union Square, Sunday, July 14, 2013, in New York, during a protest against the acquittal of neighborhood watch member George Zimmerman. (Photo: AP)6 of 16
7. People gather Sunday, July 14, 2013, in Raleigh, N.C., to protest the acquittal of George Zimmerman. (Photo: AP)7 of 16
8. Protesters make their way down Washington Ave., from Grand Circus Park in Detroit to the Federal Building during a protest against the verdict in the trial of George Zimmerman. (Photo: AP)8 of 16
9. James Brewton, 39, from Brandon, hoists his portrait of Trayvon Martin along with a group of about 175 as they gather at Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park in Tampa. (Photo: AP)9 of 16
10. Demonstrators cross Marietta Street in Atlanta as they march in protest. (Photo: AP)10 of 16
11. A bag of Skittles candies hangs out of the pocket of Latressa McVey, 35, of Atlanta, during a protest. (Photo: AP)11 of 16
12. Tabatha Holley, 19, of Dawson, Ga., chants as demonstrators march in protest as a police cruiser follows. (Photo: AP)12 of 16
13. Abdul Kebbeh, 6, holds a sign at Westlake Park on Sunday, July 14, 2013 in downtown Seattle. (Photo: AP)13 of 16
14. Demonstrators converge on Union Square, Sunday, July 14, 2013, in New York, during a protest against the acquittal of neighborhood watch member George Zimmerman. (Photo: AP)14 of 16
15. Nichole Mitchell wipes away tears during the sermon at a youth service at the St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church in Sanford, Fla. (Photo: AP)15 of 16
16. zimmerman-verdict-protest-ap-1616 of 16
(Photo Source: AP)