Tracy Morgan Responsive, Injuries Detailed [UPDATE]

Comments: 3  | Leave A Comment
  • advertisement
  • NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. (AP) — While Tracy Morgan remains in critical condition, his publicist has issued a statement saying the actor/comedian is responsive and expected to remain in the hospital for several weeks. Lewis Kay, Morgan’s rep, released this statement Sunday:

    While Tracy remains in critical condition, he has been more responsive today, which is an incredibly encouraging sign.

    “He sustained a number of injuries including a broken leg, a broken femur, a broken nose and several broken ribs. He had surgery earlier today on his leg. We expect him to remain in the hospital for several weeks. His family is tremendously overwhelmed and appreciative of the outpouring of love and support from his fans.”

    Morgan and two members of his entourage were in critical condition Sunday, a day after a tractor-trailer rammed into his chauffeured limousine bus on the New Jersey Turnpike, setting off a deadly chain-reaction pileup.

    The former “Saturday Night Live” and “30 Rock” cast member was returning from a standup show in Delaware early Saturday with six others when the limo bus overturned, killing Morgan’s mentor and fellow comedian James “Jimmy Mack” McNair. The tractor-trailer driver, Kevin Roper, was charged with death by auto and four counts of assault by auto.

    Jeffrey Millea, of Shelton, Connecticut, and comedian Ardie Fuqua Jr. were listed in critical condition along with Morgan at Robert Wood Johnson Hospital, hospital spokeswoman Zenaida Mendez said Sunday. Another comedian, Harris Stanton, was treated and released from the hospital Saturday.

    Roper, 35, of Jonesboro, Georgia, apparently failed to slow for traffic ahead and swerved at the last minute to avoid a crash, authorities said.

    Instead, the big rig smashed into the back of the Mercedes limo bus, prompting a chain-reaction crash with a second tractor-trailer, an SUV and two cars, authorities said.

    Roper’s bail was set at $50,000. It wasn’t immediately clear if he had an attorney.

    Wal-Mart President Bill Simon said in a statement that one of the company’s trucks was involved and that the company “will take full responsibility” if authorities determine its truck caused the accident.

    The National Transportation Safety Board said it was working with state police to look at any issues in the crash related to commercial trucking and limousine safety.

    1 2Next page »



    Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

    Join 3,666 other followers