“The soul of Otis Redding is in Chicago” – ‘The Ellen Show’ blog
Talk about pressure.
But then again, maybe not.
Meet spoken word artist, Harold Green. A Chicago native with impeccable wit and natural charisma. Add in a love for music and art and sprinkle a bit of poetry on top, and you’ve been introduced to the blueprint of what ‘Flowers for the Living’ (or #FFTL on social media) is all about.
Green, along with his wife Charisma, an artist in her own right, combined their adoration for music and creative wordplay into an idea that would promote love and positivity on the hip-hop music scene.
Since it’s inception in 2011, for two weeks each year around Valentine’s Day, the duo gathers in swanky, artistic settings with a live band and covers old classics and perform original music.
But this isn’t just another cover band on YouTube.
The difference: Green’s thought-provoking, raw and often sensual poetry aligned to each track.
“I write these original pieces so that makes it something new and that’s what I think makes it’s kind of cool,” Green says.
So what makes it special?
“Somebody could look at it, and be like dude is really emo, like ‘what is he on’? But I feel like people really look at it like, you can’t knock this. You know what I’m saying? This is some real [stuff].”
And “real stuff” it is. Green has been applauded by the very artists he covers via social media. Raheem DeVaughn and Erykah Badu have both reached out to the talented wordsmith expressing their amazement over his work.
Check out the group’s cover of Otis Redding’s ‘Try A Little Tenderness’ below:
Want more #FFTL? Click each thumbnail below to hear this year’s collection!
Like Harold Green and Flowers for the Living on Facebook and follow him on Twitter.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading HAROLD GREEN: New Age Lyricist, Modern Day Renaissance Man