Six-year-old Kaylen Woodard‘squick thinking and bravery potentially saved the life of his neighbor, 10-year-old Marcy Jones, when the two children were playing outside in their South Side Chicago neighborhood Thursday evening, said Chicago police officers.
They were playing about 20 feet from the front doors of their homes, reports KMOV, when a man got out of his car and tried to abduct Marcy.
“She was riding her scooter. I was riding my bike,” 6-year-old Kaylen said.
“He tried to hold her mouth. The only way she got away is because I kicked him in the back of the leg and the outside of his leg.”
Marcy’s mother, Tracey Edwards, said she was checking on her daughter through the window when she saw her running toward the house, reports ABC 7.
“She was running with the scooter in her hand,” said Edwards. “She came in the house and she was panting. And she was explaining that a man had grabbed her.”
By the time Edwards ran outside, the man had already driven away.
“We call him our little hero. We are blessed that he was there,” Edwards said.
“I can’t stop talking about him,” said Diane Blakely. “I’m still in a state of shock. Still by him being so young and he did that for a friend. That’s amazing.”
According to Chicago PD, “the offender is a white or Hispanic male, 18-20 years old, has short black hair with light complexion. He was last seen driving a white convertible with red seats.”
This story has a happy ending but, unfortunately, that is not always the case.
As previously reported by NewsOne, Martin “Marty” Cobb, an 8-year-old hero who rushed to defend his sister against a sexual assault in May, was viciously hit in the head with a brick by her attacker and died at the scene.
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.