And yet, it was only a week ago that a bunch of sourpuss, Bible-toting but not necessarily comprehending Black pastors were out making the media rounds to declare that “the fight is on.” Yes, Pastor Ronald Caldwell of Burnette Inspiration Baptist Church of Detroit told a flock of fools that when it comes to supporters of gay marriage, “You are my enemy! Anybody that’s an enemy of God is an enemy of mine. And now the fight is on! We’ve come together to say, ‘Hell no. We’re not going to sit back.’”
Now, this is a man who lives in Detroit, a city which far more serious matters to concern itself with besides whether two gays get married. One would think a Christian pastor in a poverty-stricken town would know this. After all, Jesus thought poverty was a big no-no, so he’d probably be more inclined to tell his flock to go after the Koch Brothers than your gay uncle and lesbian auntie. Unfortunately, that’d be too much like right, now wouldn’t it, saints?
No? Well, I’d like to extend another hell no to Rev. Stacey Swimp of Flint, Michigan, who told the audience that same-sex marriage will “destroy the backbone of our society.” What great society is she trying to salvage? The one that doesn’t value her life as a woman, as a Black person, and especially as a Black woman?
That reminds me, I sure hope Swimp wasn’t on her menstrual cycle when she was condemning the gays. You know, given “the Bible says…” something to the effect of, “Eww, nasty woman!” in its text on that issue. Funny, how we pick and choose what to believe, huh?
Meanwhile, White pastors like Rev. Rex Evans, pastor of Free Will Baptist Church in Ypsilanti, Michigan, are joining them in the right. On the big bad gay marriage trend, Evans claims, “We love everybody, but we don’t love the (gay) lifestyle. It’s time to take our nation back.”
A White man talking about “taking our nation back.” Sound familiar? I thought so, which is why I’m unsure why Black Christians would be tagging themselves into this fight. After all, Christian dogma was once used against them. How soon we forget.
Enter the very much Black Rev. Rader Johnson of Greater Bibleway Temple in Bay City, Michigan, who said, “We believe in the Judeo-Christian conception on which America was founded upon.” So the slaughter of indigenous people and the enslavement of millions of Africans? Point and laugh, everyone. Rev. Rader earned it.
Frankly, there’s no sense in being too upset about this. All of the aforementioned will be remembered as nothing more than relics of ignorance and intolerance. Nonetheless, I’m just going to sit here and sing Mia X’s “You Don’t Want 2 Go To War.” This fight is almost over and it’s pretty evident which side is going to win.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Anti-Gay Black Pastors Say You’re Their Enemy If You Support Marriage Equality