It’s the end of the school year so cue the pranks!
Two Brooklyn fourth graders were arrested for allegedly slipping rat poison in their teacher’s water. Police are reporting that she noticed a bout of nausea after she drank the water.
CBS New York reports:
The teacher went to police after two other students told their parents they saw the boys put something in the bottle and the parents notified the school, officials said.
No one answered the door at the teacher’s home Wednesday, CBS 2′s Alice Gainer reported. The woman hung up the phone when contacted by CBS 2.
Parents at the school Wednesday morning were shocked to hear about the arrests.
“It’s poison,” parent Derrel Williams told CBS 2′s Weijia Jiang. “It could be given to kids as well. It’s a dangerous situation not to be taken lightly.”
“I think it’s horrible. I just heard about it, and I’m in shock. I’m shaking,” one parent told 1010 WINS’ Carol D’Auria. “I was thinking that the children are the future, and the future doesn’t seem too promising right now with these things happening in school.”
“This happened on Monday. It’s Wednesday. Something should have gone out to let parents know,” said mother Naomi Primus.
“You would think that would come from an adult, but not a kid in elementary school,” another parent said.
The teacher’s neighbors were also stunned by the news.
“She’s a very nice woman,” Dominick Barboscia told Gainer. “See her every day coming from work. It’s a sin what happened.”
The bottle is currently being tested, police said.
The boys are charged as juveniles with attempted assault, reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a weapon.
A third-grade teacher who did not want to be identified said she believes she was almost poisoned three weeks ago, Jiang reported. The water in her bottle was grey and murky.
She said she alerted school officials, but nothing was done, Jiang reported.
Should the school have reacted sooner? What do you think should happen to the kids?
(Photo Source: AP)