Actress Zoe Saldana has been the subject of criticism over the last year after it was decided she’d star in Nina Simone‘s biopic as the iconic singer.

Most of the controversy, if not all, was simply because of the color of Saldana’s skin.

Nina Simone was a woman with a dark chocolate complexion that often donned an afro.

nina

Critics and fans alike felt as if Saldana was “too pretty” for the role. And of course, the actress’ skin tone was what many deemed “too light”.

Saldana posted a new photo from the highly-anticipated film, noticeably wearing makeup to darken her skin.

zoe

Soon after the picture was shared, Twitter exploded with messages that Hollywood could have found a darker actress to portray Simone.

So you tell us, does Zoe’s complexion matter or should it be all about her acting skills?

REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.

(Photo Source: Twitter)

22 thoughts on “Zoe Saldana As Nina Simone Sparks Anger [NEW PHOTO INSIDE]

1. bianca on said:

Blacks have the Highest Unempolyment Rate and it is not because we are Lazy it is because of Racism yes i think they should have found a Black female actress with darker skin PLEASE Can they allow US to make some MONEY TOO! find a Black struggling actress who needs the JOB AND CAN ACT !!!!!!!!

2. Why is it that Hollywood continues to hire actresses and actors to play black face? Why would they cast Saldana in this role when she doesn’t identify with her heritage and her race. She has called herself “a black woman,” but she is Dominican and Puerto Rican. How can they give her the honor of playing someone who fought to be who they are? Why would they dress her in a manner that does not befit the very thing Simone stood for – being natural and embracing yourself?

3. Beverly on said:

SALDANA IS DOMINICAN. DO DOMINICANS PROFESS TO BE AFRICAN AMERICAN? I DON’T THINK SO. AFRICAN AMERICANS SHOULD PLAY AFRICAN AMERICANS!! NOT DOMINICANS IN BLACK FACE!!!!!

4. Beverly on said:

Yes someone darker should play this role.Like they couldn’t find someone darker, with great acting skills.?They don’t want darker women to play roles in Hollywood. if you are dark you play the maid etc.This is ridiculous.It’s like white people putting on black face. Now we have black people putting on black face. I won’t go to see this picture!!!!

5. kay M on said:

I’m disappointed with Black America Web for trippin over themselves once again. It’s not just about complexion. There are many actresses out there of a darker complexion that can play Nina Simone. Ms. Simone was a civil rights activist. It seems too far-fetched for Zoe Saldana to play someone fighting for civil rights. I have watched her throughout her career, read articles about her and have heard her do interviews and she seems so out of touch with African American struggles. She must have some time of agent or the casting producers must be friends of hers. It follows the saying “It’s not what you know but who you know”. She is just the opposite of this role in real life. I love Nina Simone’s music and her determination and I can’t imagine enjoying this film with Zoe Saldana taking on the role of this icon. SMH!

• I said it. on said:

How many day modern singers, or actors are activist? Out of those who would you suggests. I wonder how many people commenting who are upset, listen to N.S. once a month, week, or day?

• I would suggest whomever can best play the part of NS. Hell, I don’t know who it is. I have to leave that to people who actually DO that type of job. If she’s not black enough to play the part, it’s not the apocalypse. If they don’t do a good enough job picking the correct actress, perhaps you can use your vast knowledge of thespian capability and make another movie starring the actor with the best skin color. Geeze, if she bombs, she bombs. Who the hell cares? It’s not as if we only get once chance in life to make a movie about about Ms. Simone. There are plenty of chances for do overs if this doesn’t suit your fancy. No reason to start a revolution.

• I said it. on said:

You say you would leave it to the people who do that sort of thing to chooske. The casting agents chose, but yet you vehemently oppose the choice. I’m just trying to get clarity out of your posts.

They point of Hollywood doing this film is to not only tell a story, but mal money as well. They believe Zoe can pull it off.

• You are reading kay m’s post. not mine. I’m kay. I never wrote in opposition of Ms. Saldana in this movie.

• I said it. on said:

Deepest apologies, Kay. Kay M is going to have to find another username. I’ll have to be more careful.

• I said it. on said:

I noticed that you avoided how often you listen to her. How many times have you shared her story in the last ten years? What points do you personally take away from her life?

6. Anthony Broadus on said:

Don’t see the point if she can play the role it shouldn’t matter! Malcolm X was Light skin but Denzel Washington played him in the movie and killed it!

7. The Black people with self respect understand the importance of historical accuracy rather portraying Nina Simone or Jesus of Nazareth, and understand how hollywood distorts history to their ultimate advantage . The Black people without self respect are too ignorant to realize when they are being disrespected, support whatever they’re being sold, and will makes excuses for disrespect with the argument “but it doesn’t matter”.

jimmy iovine, who never misses an opportunity to disrespect Black people by promoting such Black artists as 50 cent, chief keef, dr dre, etc… has found room in his heart to help promote this venture as well. Black with self respect see through this , the rest of you all….

8. I said it. on said:

When Little Kim said that about the actress/singer that played her and everyone got mad.
    There have been plenty of actors who have portrayed MLK that didn’t resemble him, but did a fine job.

Dominicans have African Blood Just as African Americans. They aren’t pure Africans and neither are we. I wish we’d face that fact and stop putting ourselves down.

The makeup is crazy, but you can’t tell the story without the actress being a darker complexion. It is what it is and when its all said and done will not take away from the black experience in America…nor will it add to it. This is a non factor when looking at global, national, and local issues.

9. As long as she can act, it doesn’t matter. Actors and actresses have been wearing makeup to alter their complexions for as long as there have been actors and actresses. What’s the big whoop?

10. Paris on said:

I know she’s not an actress but my vote would have been for India Arie. Her music style is similar to Nina Simone.

11. Kevin on said:

If you have to put darker make-up on the actress to play the role, why not just hire a darker actress? I thought Mary J. Blige was originally supposed to have this role? Can Saldana even sing? Just seems like an overall bad choice and the typical “Hollywood way of doing things”.

12. PetraBlue on said:

I am sick of seeing this Dominican woman playing African American icons on screen. She is not African American and should not be allowed to play our important roles. Latino people won’t let her play them so why should we be insulted with her presence on film. We have very good actresses who can play our hero’s not Dominicans and I don’t care how dark she is. This is and outrage.

13. Maybe Nia Long or Gabrielle Union would have been a better choice, not that neither of them are pretty, because they are, but to me, they’d “look” more the part than Zoe. Just saying…