Annie Mougell-Walker was shot in the back of the head Monday afternoon by her 11-year-old grandson after arguing with him over his bad behavior in school. While she survived the shooting, Mougell-Walker must now live with a bullet lodged in her skull, according to Fox 23.
According to police, the 42-year-old Tulsa, Okla., grandmother said she was upset when her grandson brought home a poor progress report. At some point, the child allegedly slipped into his grandmother’s bedroom to retrieve a .22-caliber revolver and shot her in the back of her head.
The fifth grader was booked into a juvinaile detention center and charged with shooting with intent to kill.
The grandmother is baffled as to how her own grandson could even think of killing her. “He got in trouble today at school, so when I got home I was gonna talk to him furthermore about it,” Mougell-Walker said. But instead of a conversation, “All I saw was a big bang of a flash and heard it, and I knew I was shot in the back of my head.” The worried grandmother also said how the child told her that he hears voices and how those voices commanded him to pull the trigger.
Mougell-Walker was rushed to a nearby hospital after the shooting, where she was interviewed by officers about her grandson’s role in the shooting. When officers spoke with the child, he initially denied he was the one who pulled the trigger.
Doctors could not remove the bullet lodged in Mougell-Walker’s skull, so she must wait until surrounding tissue pushes the foreign object out on its own. Doctors will then be able to operate and remove the bullet. Despite her physical pain, Mougell-Walker still loves her grandson. Upon her release from the hospital, she even attempted to visit the youth but was in far too much physical pain to do so.
“You don’t bring someone in your house that you don’t care for,” she said. “I’ve been having him for many years since he was two, and I love him very much.”
Meanwhile, the young boy is sitting in a juvenile detention center awaiting his hearing.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25