We spend a lot of time on the news covering people who fall from grace and become social pariahs.
Donald Sterling is the latest example.
America loves a good redemption story for almost everyone.
President Clinton, Charlie sheen, Paula Deen, Martha Stewart, Kim Kardashian, bill O’Reilly, David letterman, Vanessa Williams, Eliot Spitzer, Rob Lowe, Hugh grant and on and on and on.
Martha Stewart went prison. Charlie Sheen lost his job. Paula Deen lost millions.
But why no second act for Monica Lewinsky?
She’s hoping to change that and is back in the news after writing an article for Vanity Fair magazine.
On my CNN show, celebrity publicist Michael Levine told me, “certain people are very good at creating their own narrative and some people are not. And she isn’t. And it’s true to say that she simply was not able for whatever reason over the last 15 years to create an alternative narrative. Bill Clinton is one of the great narrative creators of all time. He was. She wasn’t. In the end people are where they are because of who they are and if they don’t create their own narrative history will do it for them.”
Monica Lewinsky all but disappeared, retreating from the public eye for more than a decade.
Many empathize with her over her relationship with President Clinton because it was clearly the ultimate imbalance of power.
In fact in 2004 he told CBS news, “I did something for the worst possible reason — just because I could,” he said. “I think that’s just about the most morally indefensible reason anybody could have for doing anything.”
But, most all realize that at the time Lewinsky admittedly was a grown woman between 22 and 25 years of age, old enough to make her own decisions, and she decided to have a sexual relationship with a sitting president. She still contends the relationship was congenital.
In my humble opinion she has also decided in the 15 years since to hide, to largely run away from it and not to own her own story.
Hear me out.
Monica Lewinsky, by her own admission, has had plenty of opportunities in business and otherwise to write her own story and navigate a new course for her life.
She has mostly chosen not to.
And while the public has largely moved on she is the one who has not.
And it’s about time.
In fact, it’s past time.
Not only is it time for you to move on, it’s time for the American people to move on too.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading DON LEMON: Why Can’t Monica Lewinksy Get A Second Chance?