D.L. Hughley is facing plenty of scrutiny over comments he made a few weeks ago about the alleged domestic dispute between actor Columbus Short and Tanee McCall-Short.

Despite media that questioned his comments made during an after-show segment of his nationally syndicated radio show, “The DL Hughley Show,” the multi-talented entertainer and radio host has stepped up to the mic and apologized for his controversial remarks.

Earlier in the day, Hughley released a statement expressing his sincerest apologies to Mrs. McCall-Short. In the statement, Hughley attested he would discuss the controversy during the broadcast of “The DL Hughley Show.” He wrote, “We’ll address this topic with the DL Question of the Day and will discuss it throughout the show today from 3pm – 7pm ET.”

Hughley stayed true to his word and immediately addressed the controversy in a candid conversation on-air for all of his listeners to hear.

See what he had to say below:

DL:  So Jasmine, you know the story a couple of weeks ago I was broadcasting in Charlotte…

Jasmine:  Right.

DL:  Columbus Short’s wife came up and she is alleging that he had hit her with a wine bottle and assaulted her with a knife.  I quickly jumped to Columbus Short’s defense, and I put my mouth, my, my, if this were a joke, or if I had a done a joke that people got offended by I can honestly say I wouldn’t be apologizing.  I don’t think humor, as subjective, as sometime as cutting that it can be, I think that’s something, that’s where I draw a line, I won’t apologize for that.

What I will apologize for is putting my mouth on a woman who was victimized by a man who I know, and before I knew the facts, or before I knew the severity or before I knew much of anything about it.  And so Tanee McCall-Short, I put, I basically said that she was probably a gold digger and I had no idea of the severity of what was going on.  I quickly … my, my, my sole apology is that I put my mouth on a woman, who was in fact being victimized, and that it came off as me silencing victims.  Which, you know, that you were brutalized once and then I do it again.  And so I am not in the habit of apologizing for things I don’t mean.  I’m not in the habit of saying things that I don’t mean.  That was a comment I made, and putting my mouth on that woman was something I sincerely apologize for.

So I don’t condone violence.  I’ve been married to a woman for 30 years I can honestly say I’ve never physically abused anyone, well, men, but they deserved it.  And I’ve never encouraged a woman to be silent deliberately about abuse.  So if it came off that way I have to apologize.  I don’t know that you can encourage many women to be silent about much, but I want them to be silent in general, but just not about abuse.

Steve:  Here we go.

Jasmine:  Yeah.

DL:  I want them to have, I certainly want them to have a voice when somebody victimizes them.  And as I said several times on that show I think that anybody who victimizes anybody should be prosecuted to the fullest of the law.

Steve:  You did say that.

DL:  I said it several times.  And I think that a lot of times, you know, you’re in a position where your words carry a lot more weight than you give them credit for.  So if somebody was offended by what I did, and certainly to this young lady, Tanee, I didn’t know that I was defending a dude who then later tore the door off the hinges.

Jasmine:  Yeah, he was a little koo-koo.

DL:  So I pride myself on being a man, and you can’t be a man just when you’re doing something you like.  You have to be a man when you’re doing something that has been, when you’ve wronged somebody, and for that I give my apology.  The phone lines will be open, we will discuss this, you can talk to me about anything.  So give us a call let  us know what you think, 877 242 2426.

11 thoughts on “D.L. Hughley Apologizes For Tanee McCall-Short Comments About Domestic Violence Issue On National Radio Show

1. RENO2AC on said:

He should have known better. PERIOD. Give the man a break? He unjustly trashed that woman’s character and called her out of her name. Wrong is wrong. And, in the words of my beloved Granny, “There ‘ain’t’ no right in wrong!”

2. Mae on said:

No matter who we are we should always think before responding as this negative comment could have been avoided. As a husband of 30 years DL Hughley you should know better. It is never ok for anyone to put there hands on another person.

3. I have never liked DL. He’s not funny and he looks creepy as hell. I don’t listen to him, so I don’t know for sure, but I’ll bet this is not the first time he’s spoken about a woman in this fashion.

4. Vaughn Taylor on said:

Give DL a goddamn break! I don’t support violence of any kind and I doubt he does as he stated but I’m sure he said those things out of his friendship with Columbus AND many of us folks do and say things that we don’t necessarily agree or condone when we are defending someone we know or that are friends of ours. And let’s just keep it real my people…many of you have probably had some friends or family members who’ve had similar incidents or problems that you’ve made biased or judgment calls on!! He who is without the sin…ok. It’s so ridiculous how quick we are to call for a brother’s head in situations like this…a woman hater…mysogynist?? PUHLEASE GTFOH!!

The man has been married for 30 years TO THE SAME WOMAN and has two daughters himself…

• Kimberley Egonmwan on said:

He’s got a black wife, so let’s give him a break. Actually, Sterling’s girlfriend was half-black, so let’s give him a break too! Your rationale is completely illogical.The fact of the matter is DL’s black, his mother’s black, everyone in his whole family is black, and his words and thoughts are still disrespectful to black women. I’m sorry you’re an apologist for those who disrespect black women-that is unfortunate for you, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t make one bit of difference. He needs to be off the air. We want him and his black woman-hating speech off the air now!

5. Jasmine on said:

I’m sorry, but please fire him. His apology sounds sincere, but it is too little, too late. As the daughter of a woman who I saw get choked and punched by my father on a regular basis, a woman who finally gathered the courage to leave that man and was indeed going against her financial interests (because we ended up being poor) his insensitive comments had me in tears of rage. How could you, not knowing a situation, place such disrespectful judgement? I cannot imagine the anguish this woman is already going through with her family being ripped apart in the public eye, and then to have DL Hughley’s abusive (because yes, calling a woman a thirsty, dizzy bitch and telling her to shut up is VERY abusive) commentary on top of what she’s going through? Congrats, DL, youve never hit a woman, but you’ve talked down on one like she was a dog. Your Co host was right, you are a woman hater. DL Hughley does not deserve his public platform, whether he meant to silence victims or not. He’s an irresponsible public figure who has done irreversible harm with his comments.

6. Kimberley Egonmwan on said:

Mr. Joyner, when your show was dropped by one of the major radio station owners, Black women (their Sororities, especially) were outraged and wrote letters on your behalf. Simply put, we had your back. Now, you are affiliated with this “man” who has made more than one disrespectful comment about Black women. His latest words are beyond excuse and beyond this kind of half-hearted apology. Respectfully Mr. Joyner, we ask that you show leadership and end DL Hughley’s contract and affiliation with your show. It’s time for a Black man to stand up for the respect and dignity of Black women, without being forced to. We had your back when it was necessary, now have ours.- Kimberley Egonmwan, Chicago, IL

7. Lecia m on said:

I been stop following dl hughly on twitter he think just because he got his ged he can say whatever. I can’t stand him

• Michael on said:

Give the man a break. I know some will not admit their mistakes. We concentrate on to much negativity we are just like crabs in a bucket as my Father once told me.