PLAY AUDIO

For iPhone:

Donald Sterling and Cliven Bundy- Two people, who are recently accused of disparaging black people, some of it caught on video and audiotape; yet they deny they are racist.

Last week on CNN Bundy was recorded saying:

“If I say Negro or black boy or slave, I’m not I’m not. If those people cannot take those kind of words and not be offensive then martin Luther King has not gotten his job done yet.”

So in some odd way to Cliven Bundy it’s Dr. King’s fault that the rest of the world doesn’t line up with his point of view.

That was last week.

This week there’s a new one from Los Angeles Clipper’s basketball team owner Donald Sterling.

“You want me to have hate towards black people? I don’t want you to have hate. That’s what people do. They turn things around. I want you to love them, privately.  In your whole life every day you could be with them, every single day of your life… Not in public?  But why publicize it on your Instagram and why bring them to my games?”

You can love them, “privately.”

It’s all too warped and twisted and really defies any explanation beyond bigotry and racism.

Clinical Psychologist Dr. Jeff Gardere said on CNN that, “I’m not surprised by any of this. We have people who have very racist views but who don’t consider themselves to be racist. They think the things that they say about certain people and their thought patterns are based in some sort of reality. They’re based on stereotypes of course.”

The stereotype is that people other than those who look like you are not considered worthy or good enough to be seen with you in public.

I’ve said for years now that the new racism is the denial of racism.

In the past few weeks after hearing from Bundy and Sterling, I have changed my mind.

The new racism is being unaware that you are racist.

And that is the worst kind of anything; to be woefully ignorant.

Because in the latest two cases ignorance truly is not bliss.

It is downright dangerous.

15 thoughts on “DON LEMON: ‘Not Knowing You’re Racist Is The New Racisim’

1. WhiteRabbit on said:

Nobody is saying Asians will ever be a minority in Asia
    Nobody is saying Africans will ever be a minority in Africa
    So why are they saying White people will be a minority in EVERY White country in 2040?
    That’s because “anti-racists” only enforce Diversity in White countries
    Because “anti-racists” want a world without White children
    Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-White
    Diversity is a codeword for White Genocide?

2. Don Lemon is off on this one. Neither of these men are “dangerous” in their so-called racism. Cliven Bundy’s not remotely racist; it’s just that blacks aren’t used to hearing the truth from whites, and everybody has a stupid stereotype of country/western-type folks being racist in their frankness. Even Donald Sterling is no more “racist” than Oprah, and he’s much less dangerous than Oprah or Obama if he is racist–because the whites don’t follow Donald like the blacks do Oprah and Obama. I like Don Lemon but he’s wrong here.

3. I hope Black people realize how problematic the double standards we are creating. We can insist that white people are in denial about their racism but what happens next? This idea that “we can’t be racist” is going to start coming back and biting us in the ass HARD. Denial of racism is the new racism? Yes sir, it is.

4. Tyrone on said:

CIVIL WAR CONTINUES: White Governors of the South; white judges of the South, white police officers of the South, white school teachers of the South share the same modus operandi as DS & Bundy. Many of the white Governors of the South belong to or are affiliated with the Sons & Daughters of the Confederate or similar white supremacist orders, who have events throughout the year.

5. Timekeeeper on said:

See Spencer. I knew you would cop an attitude and that is the whole point. By gatitng so angry, you actually prove Don Lemon’s point. When you ask questpons about Voter I.D. Laws and Stand Your Ground as if you dont know how much they have negatively afffected the black people. that is proof positive of exactly what Don means bu not knowing you are a racist. You can get mad at me all you want I and you probably will. You can get http://blackamericaweb.com/2014/04/29/don-lemon-not-knowing-youre-racist-is-the-new-racisim/at all of the other posts as well. But that should tell you something. You just Dont Get It. You are the atypical example of the total disconnect between white and black america when it comes to race. the questions you riase on this site are so defined I can almost see the ? mark on your forehead. There is nothing wrong with saying you dont understand. that would be respectful, intelligent even. But when you get angry, defiant, indignant just becuase you dont see racism the same way that black people do. Its becuase you Cant. You dont, and you never will. Instead of going to happy hour and having a few brewsskies with the boys, sit down and listen ( not to Fox news though) and have an open mind. Maybe, just maybe it will take that anger out of your heart, take the ? makr off your forehead and allow you to consider that black people do know what they are talking about.

• I said it. on said:

Question mark on his forehead…hilarious. If we were playing the game Clue, they’d never win because they just don’t get it and don’t care to try because it doesn’t affect them personally. If you think about it that way, it keeps you calm. Why let these bigots upset us about something they are unwilling, or don’t want to change?

6. Timekeeeper on said:

See Spencer. I knew you would cop an attitude and that is the whole point. By gatitng so angry, you actually prove Don Lemon’s point. When you ask questpons about Voter I.D. Laws and Stand Your Ground as if you dont know how much they have negatively afffected the black people. that is proof positive of exactly what Don means bu not knowing you are a racist. You can get mad at me all you want I and you probably will. You can get at all of the other posts as well. But that should tell you something. You just Dont Get It. You are the atypical example of the total disconnect between white and black america when it comes to race. the questions you riase on this site are so defined I can almost see the ? mark on your forehead. There is nothing wrong with saying you dont understand. that would be respectful, intelligent even. But when you get angry, defiant, indignant just becuase you dont see racism the same way that black people do. Its becuase you Cant. You dont, and you never will. Instead of going to happy hour and having a few brewsskies with the boys, sit down and listen ( not to Fox news though) and have an open mind. Maybe, just maybe it will take that anger out of your heart, take the ? makr off your forehead and allow you to consider that black people do know what they are talking about.

7. I said it. on said:

What’s crazy is that Sterling was trying to teach his side chick the “proper way” to behave in society. What’s proper about having a girlfriend when you are married.

His wife is just as dingy for suing the girlfriend for the money she got for laying up with this coo coo bird. The wife should have tried to pay her extra as a thanks for keeping his wrinkled behind away from the house.

8. Timekeeeper on said:

From the sounds of your comments and questions Spencer. you obvioulsy dont get it, and probably never will. good try though.

9. Spencer on said:

This is an absolute joke. Racism occurs in every culture, however, in African-American culture it is somehow socially acceptable. For example, Sterling made some ridiculous comments that appear ro be racist. On the other hand, Larry Johnson said blacks should make their own NBA leage. Both comments are racist, and yet, only one (Sterling) is publicly condemned. I remember when Trader Joe’s was being built in Baltimore City and all the blacks protested the store. Why? Because they didn’t want the whites the store would attract in the city. The media somehow always ignores those stories.

Also, how are voter id laws and stand your ground laws racist?? And what civil rights have the Supreme Court taken away?

• I said it. on said:

Child, get a life. You are all over the place. Pick one subject, preferably the one being discussed, and stick to it. You are the poster child for unmedicated ADHD.

10. Timekeeeper on said:

New kind of Racism, eh. I think Don Lemon is on to something. Not knowing your a racist; along with it’s first cousin “Not admititng your a racist! Donlad Trump, Donald Sterlng, the Tea Party, Voter ID laws & discrimination, Supreme Court taking away civil rights, showing Obama in crosshairs, Stand your Ground law, you can go on, and on, and on, and on. and then go some more after that. All of these things being done in the name of so called post racism when in fact, it simply hanst occured. The people who act on this legislation, support it, and act upon it arre all people who dont know they are racist. Although I think the biggest percentage are the ones who simply deny it.

11. “Sounds like the old slave owner who would pick one of his slaves and “love” them “privately.”– Might sound like that to Don, but Sterling doesn’t own her. She has free will to be with him or not, so it sure doesn’t sound like slavery to me. What could possibly FREELY attract her to him? Sounds like something else to me….