Wu-Tang Clan’s The RZA first made the leap from rapper and producer to actor in the 1999 film “Ghost Dog: The Way of The Samurai” and since then has gone on to appear in a half dozen movies and made his directorial debut in 2012′s “The Man With The Iron Fists.”
His appearance in “Iron Fists” as the titular blacksmith caught the attention some big names in Hollywood, so now The Abbot is back on the screen in “Brick Mansions,” a dystopian tale of an inner city warlord who holds the city of Detroit hostage.
“‘Brick Mansions’ is a remake of a French film called ‘B-13′ or ‘District 13′ depending on which DVD you have,” RZA tells TheUrbaDaily.com. “It was done by Luc Besson and I’m a big fan of his work. I read the character of Tremaine Alexander and I was impressed by him. At the time ‘Iron Fist’ was in theaters and Luc had seen it and agreed to meet me. And when this movie got green lit they called me for the part.”
RZA drew inspiration for the golden-gun toting Alexander from a real life street pharmacist he grew up around named Dusty, hence balancing his ruthlessness with a little humanity.
“He’s a guy who is a product of his environment,” says RZA. “Brick Mansions is the name of a place in futuristic Detroit where all the poor and outcasts live. It’s every man for himself and he’s taking advantage of a messed up situation by selling drugs. He explains it away by saying people are in pain and he’s providing them a way to ease that pain.”
“Brick Mansions” is also the last full movie that the late Paul Walker filmed before his ultimately death on November 20, 2013. His character Damien is a cop who is hell bent on stopping RZA’s Alexander before he commits mass murder.
“I think we just immediately hit it off,” RZA says of their working relationship. “In a short amount of time I got to find out what kind of man he was. He was a good man. Real good dude. There is a certain kind of energy certain men have. We had some great conversations because of what we had in common.”
For any of you watching the trailer and wondering if this reminds you a little of “New Jack City” we asked RZA if his character Tremaine could hang with the legendary Nino Brown.
“Wesley [Snipes] is my big brother so I can’t take nothing from Nino Brown,” RZA says. “He was definitely an influence. But Nino didn’t have his pull with the police.”
Watch to hear RZA make the case for why you should go and see “Brick Mansions”!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25