Wu-Tang Clan’s The RZA first made the leap from rapper and producer to actor in the 1999 film “Ghost Dog: The Way of The Samurai” and since then has gone on to appear in a half dozen movies and made his directorial debut in 2012′s “The Man With The Iron Fists.”
His appearance in “Iron Fists” as the titular blacksmith caught the attention some big names in Hollywood, so now The Abbot is back on the screen in “Brick Mansions,” a dystopian tale of an inner city warlord who holds the city of Detroit hostage.
“‘Brick Mansions’ is a remake of a French film called ‘B-13′ or ‘District 13′ depending on which DVD you have,” RZA tells TheUrbaDaily.com. “It was done by Luc Besson and I’m a big fan of his work. I read the character of Tremaine Alexander and I was impressed by him. At the time ‘Iron Fist’ was in theaters and Luc had seen it and agreed to meet me. And when this movie got green lit they called me for the part.”
RZA drew inspiration for the golden-gun toting Alexander from a real life street pharmacist he grew up around named Dusty, hence balancing his ruthlessness with a little humanity.
“He’s a guy who is a product of his environment,” says RZA. “Brick Mansions is the name of a place in futuristic Detroit where all the poor and outcasts live. It’s every man for himself and he’s taking advantage of a messed up situation by selling drugs. He explains it away by saying people are in pain and he’s providing them a way to ease that pain.”
“Brick Mansions” is also the last full movie that the late Paul Walker filmed before his ultimately death on November 20, 2013. His character Damien is a cop who is hell bent on stopping RZA’s Alexander before he commits mass murder.
“I think we just immediately hit it off,” RZA says of their working relationship. “In a short amount of time I got to find out what kind of man he was. He was a good man. Real good dude. There is a certain kind of energy certain men have. We had some great conversations because of what we had in common.”
For any of you watching the trailer and wondering if this reminds you a little of “New Jack City” we asked RZA if his character Tremaine could hang with the legendary Nino Brown.
“Wesley [Snipes] is my big brother so I can’t take nothing from Nino Brown,” RZA says. “He was definitely an influence. But Nino didn’t have his pull with the police.”
Watch to hear RZA make the case for why you should go and see “Brick Mansions”!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30