The environmental issues that we deal with aren’t always discussed as we have conversations about justice, but this Earth Day, we need to pay attention to how our zip code impacts our overall health and quality of life.
A few weeks ago, I joked on Instagram that it was time for people to get right with God. While the concept itself is not necessarily a joke, the reference being made was to the fact that on that particular Sunday it was 62 degrees in Washington, D.C. and the next day they were predicting snow. It’s been a common occurrence, especially this past winter, with wild weather and related occurrences happening throughout the world. The culprit is climate change, but it doesn’t affect everyone equally.
We know that place matters. Where you live, what your zip code is affects many things that you deal with from education, healthcare, transportation, access to social services and many other issues. But what isn’t always discussed is how your zip code impacts your health and quality of life because of environmental factors like waste disposal, energy production facility placement, locations of highways and transportation hubs and more.
My zip code growing up was 08105 – East Camden, N.J. The impacts of the environment there included lead paint, excessive dust and allergens and pesticides, among others. My sister had asthma and I developed it by age 12. My dad and I both had allergies that were incessantly aggravated but when we moved out of Camden, they lessened considerably. When I lived in New York, my zip code was 10030 – Harlem. There, I interacted with several bus depots, and the smog created by them would fill the air.
It’s issues like these that we need to not only pay more attention to, but demand justice for. Environment justice isn’t exactly a new idea, but it’s one that people don’t always understand when they are demanding justice within their communities. It affects overall quality of life and is intertwined with so many other issues that we have to focus on it more. If a child develops severe asthma that causes her to miss multiple days of school, overall, that impacts her education. Her family, which is likely already struggling, now has added medical bills and her mother has to work extra hours in order to buy her medicine. The impacts of the mother being away from the home are felt by the family in many ways that we can all imagine.
Earth Day is April 22. On this day, let’s not think of what we imagine environmental activists to be, let’s lift up the mantle of environmental justice and demand better from our government. The president has already created a climate action plan. It’s our turn to take that plan and make sure it’s implemented by state and local elected officials in communities across the country. We already know place matters, now it’s time to show that it matters to us.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31