A Florida man was kicked out of a recreational basketball game after a referee learned that he was HIV-positive, the Orlando Sentinel reports.
Dakota Basinger (pictured), 21, of St. Cloud, had been playing league basketball all season for Florida Dream Sports, a league sponsored by the city of Kissimmee. During the second half of a game Saturday night, the referee blew the whistle and called Basinger into a room where a city employee asked him if he was HIV-positive.
Basinger, who posted his status on Facebook a week before, told the employee that was in fact positive. He said the employee told him he could no longer play in the league.
“I feel humiliated and discriminated against,” said Basinger, a rap artist who performs locally. “I felt horrible walking out of that gym.”
Here is more from the Sentinel:
On Tuesday, a city spokeswoman said in a statement that a part-time city employee “acted independently and without supervisor approval” when he removed Basinger from the game.
“The city has taken corrective action to ensure this does not happen in the future,” said Arin Thrower, spokeswoman for the city, adding that “as of right now,” the employee still works for the city.Basinger will be allowed to play in the league again when it starts back up, Thrower said.
Basinger’s mother, Lisa, was at the game and went with her son when the employee called him into a room to say he couldn’t play.
“I couldn’t believe it,” said the outraged mother. “I explained to them that they needed to educate themselves on HIV and that you cannot transmit HIV through spit or casual contact.”
“These fluids must come in contact with a mucous membrane or damaged tissue or be directly injected into the bloodstream from a needle for transmission to possibly occur,” according to the CDC.
“Contact between broken skin, wounds, or mucous membranes and HIV-infected blood” may also spread the virus, but such reports are “extremely rare,” said the CDC.
In the United States, HIV is most commonly spread by having unprotected sex and from sharing needles to inject drugs, said the CDC. Basinger said he contracted HIV, a viral infection that is the precursor to AIDS, by having unprotected sex with another man.
Basinger’s mother said she is very upset over what happened to her son and how society treats those with HIV.
“He’s going through a lot, having just been diagnosed,” Lisa Basinger said.” My wish is that everybody would become educated about the facts and myths of HIV.”
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading B-Ball Player Kicked Out Of Rec Game Because Of HIV-Positive Status