A Florida man was kicked out of a recreational basketball game after a referee learned that he was HIV-positive, the Orlando Sentinel reports.
Dakota Basinger (pictured), 21, of St. Cloud, had been playing league basketball all season for Florida Dream Sports, a league sponsored by the city of Kissimmee. During the second half of a game Saturday night, the referee blew the whistle and called Basinger into a room where a city employee asked him if he was HIV-positive.
Basinger, who posted his status on Facebook a week before, told the employee that was in fact positive. He said the employee told him he could no longer play in the league.
“I feel humiliated and discriminated against,” said Basinger, a rap artist who performs locally. “I felt horrible walking out of that gym.”
Here is more from the Sentinel:
On Tuesday, a city spokeswoman said in a statement that a part-time city employee “acted independently and without supervisor approval” when he removed Basinger from the game.
“The city has taken corrective action to ensure this does not happen in the future,” said Arin Thrower, spokeswoman for the city, adding that “as of right now,” the employee still works for the city.Basinger will be allowed to play in the league again when it starts back up, Thrower said.
Basinger’s mother, Lisa, was at the game and went with her son when the employee called him into a room to say he couldn’t play.
“I couldn’t believe it,” said the outraged mother. “I explained to them that they needed to educate themselves on HIV and that you cannot transmit HIV through spit or casual contact.”
“These fluids must come in contact with a mucous membrane or damaged tissue or be directly injected into the bloodstream from a needle for transmission to possibly occur,” according to the CDC.
“Contact between broken skin, wounds, or mucous membranes and HIV-infected blood” may also spread the virus, but such reports are “extremely rare,” said the CDC.
In the United States, HIV is most commonly spread by having unprotected sex and from sharing needles to inject drugs, said the CDC. Basinger said he contracted HIV, a viral infection that is the precursor to AIDS, by having unprotected sex with another man.
Basinger’s mother said she is very upset over what happened to her son and how society treats those with HIV.
“He’s going through a lot, having just been diagnosed,” Lisa Basinger said.” My wish is that everybody would become educated about the facts and myths of HIV.”
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading B-Ball Player Kicked Out Of Rec Game Because Of HIV-Positive Status