Blake Ford, 9, who attends the DC Scholars Public Charter School is currently hospitalized, after his teacher allegedly ordered him to do his work when he complained about feeling hot and sick. Now the boy’s mom, Tyesha (pictured), is upset that her son’s cries for help were reportedly disregarded by his teacher and other staffers who knew about her child’s critical medical condition, according to East Idaho News.
Tyesha told WJLA-TV that Blake did not feel well on Monday, and according to the miffed Mom, “He got up and told his teacher, ‘I am hot. I do not feel good.’ She said, ‘Go get some water, sit back, and do your work.’ He said he had his hand on his head on the desk. She kept saying, ‘Blake, do your work.’”
Three hours after the fourth grader complained about feeling hot, he walked out of his classroom in an effort to seek help at the school’s office, Tyesha contends.
Instead of calling an ambulance for Blake, Tyesha told the news outlet that the office personnel allegedly opted to place the feverish child on a school bus in the rain. Blake was later met by a relative at his bus stop, but by this time, the boy had grown considerably weak, so an ambulance was summoned to his home.
By the time Blake arrived at the hospital, Tyesha told WJLA that her son’s fever had risen to an alarming 105 degrees and his red blood cell count was very low. Doctors also reportedly told the Mom that Blake might need a transfusion.
When Blake suffered a heart attack last summer, Tyesha told WJLA, a conference was held at his school and attended by all of his primary teachers, and it was at this point, she let them know about Blake’s inherited disease.
Sickle cell is caused by an abnormal type of hemoglobin that changes the red blood cells, causing them to become fragile and to be shaped like sickles. The abnormal cells then deliver less oxygen to the body’s tissues, which can result in a slew of problems from severe bouts of bodily pain, delayed growth (in children), vision problems, frequent infections, and anemia.
Scholars Public Charter’s Principal Rebecca Crouch told ABC News the following with regards to Tyesha’s allegations about their callousness involving Blake’s medical episode at the school:
DC Scholars Public Charter School prepares students to attend and succeed academically in high school and college, and DC Scholars provides students with a foundation of life skills required to become productive members of their communities.
As a result, we take the health and well-being of our students very seriously and invest in staff and training to meet the academic and health needs of all of our students. Our leadership, nurse, and staff partner with families to ensure that our students have the supports necessary to fully participate in their learning.
We are following up with our staff and the child’s family to discuss this specific matter, and we will ensure that we will review with our team all student health policies and protocols. We believe that all of our students are integral members of our school community, and we care deeply about each of them.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading Mom Claims School Ignored Sickle Cell Son’s Pleas For Help