We hear so many negative statistics about young black men that it’s sometimes hard to separate fact from fiction.
Statistics like a young black boy born today is more likely to go to jail than go to college.
Or statistics like there are more black men in prison than in college.
The truth is that since 2011 there are more black men in college than there are in prison.
While it is sad that at one point that statistic was true, it’s fantastic that it’s being turned around, and quickly.
It’s being turned around by people like Kwasi Enin, a young African-American man who was accepted to all eight ivy League schools.
It’s being turned around by 17-year old black teens like Akintunde Ahmad of Oakland, California who has a 5.0 GPA, that’s right a 5.0 GPA and a 2100 SAT score.
And it’s being turned around by people like the young men of Urban Prep academy in Chicago.
For the fifth year in a row 100 percent of its graduating class of young men of color is college bound.
All 240 of Urban Prep seniors are heading to college.
According to the letter from Urban Prep founder Tim King, these young men have received acceptance letters from over 185 colleges and universities and earned over $11,000,000 in scholarships and grants.
King states that these young men stand in plain view ready to be celebrated and ready to get the attention they deserve.
I agree with him when he writes, “when we turn on the news and read the papers, and often the sounds of negativity, of lack, of despair overwhelm us: “Black men are absent”, “Black men are dead”, “Black men are killers”, “Black men are stupid”, Black men are unemployed”, “Black men are in jail”, “Black men are nothing.”
That is all so wrong when it comes to Kwasi Enin, Akintunde Ahmad and the 240 graduating seniors of Urban Prep- young, black, proud, men.
Yes, they not only deserve our attention, but our praise and our encouragement.
When I visited them back in 2008 just before President Obama was elected, I dubbed them the Little Obamas.
The first graduating class after that lived up to that nickname by all being accepted to college.
There is a creed that is recited every morning at Urban Prep by all the young men at the school.
It reads: We are our brothers’ keepers.
We believe in ourselves.
We believe in each other.
We believe in Urban Prep.
And we should all believe in them.
Theirs and our futures depend on it.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information visit here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25