We hear so many negative statistics about young black men that it’s sometimes hard to separate fact from fiction.
Statistics like a young black boy born today is more likely to go to jail than go to college.
Or statistics like there are more black men in prison than in college.
The truth is that since 2011 there are more black men in college than there are in prison.
While it is sad that at one point that statistic was true, it’s fantastic that it’s being turned around, and quickly.
It’s being turned around by people like Kwasi Enin, a young African-American man who was accepted to all eight ivy League schools.
It’s being turned around by 17-year old black teens like Akintunde Ahmad of Oakland, California who has a 5.0 GPA, that’s right a 5.0 GPA and a 2100 SAT score.
And it’s being turned around by people like the young men of Urban Prep academy in Chicago.
For the fifth year in a row 100 percent of its graduating class of young men of color is college bound.
All 240 of Urban Prep seniors are heading to college.
According to the letter from Urban Prep founder Tim King, these young men have received acceptance letters from over 185 colleges and universities and earned over $11,000,000 in scholarships and grants.
King states that these young men stand in plain view ready to be celebrated and ready to get the attention they deserve.
I agree with him when he writes, “when we turn on the news and read the papers, and often the sounds of negativity, of lack, of despair overwhelm us: “Black men are absent”, “Black men are dead”, “Black men are killers”, “Black men are stupid”, Black men are unemployed”, “Black men are in jail”, “Black men are nothing.”
That is all so wrong when it comes to Kwasi Enin, Akintunde Ahmad and the 240 graduating seniors of Urban Prep- young, black, proud, men.
Yes, they not only deserve our attention, but our praise and our encouragement.
When I visited them back in 2008 just before President Obama was elected, I dubbed them the Little Obamas.
The first graduating class after that lived up to that nickname by all being accepted to college.
There is a creed that is recited every morning at Urban Prep by all the young men at the school.
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.