At this year’s Detroit Auto Show, JeffCars.com had an opportunity to connect with Damon Lester, president of the National Association of Minority Automobile Dealers (NAMAD). Lester’s organization represents every ethnic-owned new-vehicle dealership in America. This group consists of women, African Americans, Hispanics, Asians and American Indians.
In 2009, at the height of the recession, there were 20,453 dealerships throughout America, 1,076 were NAMAD dealerships, representing 5 percent of new-vehicle dealerships. Conversely, in 2013, there were 15,800 dealerships, 1,074 were NAMAD dealerships, which represented only 6 percent of total dealerships.
Ideally, the U. S. dealer count should represent the demographics of America. According to the U. S. Census, minorities represent close to 30 percent of the population. In most cases, whether its pertaining to employment being provided by a major corporation, shaping the electorate or examining one’s household budget, if we don’t track things statistically we’ll never know when things are out of balance.
African American-Owned Dealerships
In 1980, there were 244 dealerships. This group peaked at 751 dealerships in 2005. Two years before the recession rolled around in 2007, the numbers dipped to 391. As of July 2013, there are only 262 dealerships, just slightly more than what they were in the 80s.
In 1980, there were 100 dealerships. By 2005, the numbers climbed to 695. However, prior to the recession rolling in, the numbers fell to 518 dealerships in 2007. As of July 2013, there are only 485 dealerships.
Asian American-Owned Dealerships
In 1980, there are only 21 dealerships. At its peak in 2006, there were 361 owned dealerships. However, in 2007, the dealership count slid to 247. And, as of July 2013, there are only 238 dealerships.
To locate a minority-owned dealership in your area, visit the Namad.org ‘Dealer Locater’, which is located at the bottom of their home page.
Jeff Fortson is an auto analyst and editor of a car-buying website for women and minorities. To learn more about his popular car-buying workshop and/or to price a new-vehicle, drive on over to JeffCars.com. Follow him @ Twitter/JeffCars.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25