Something I truly never thought about or never experienced when I was growing up is a child being suspended from preschool.
It is surprising that it does happen.
But it’s sad that those who are suspended most often are black children- children who because the history of this country, are already starting out at a disadvantage. This puts them even further behind.
The report from the Education Department’s civil rights arm shows that black children make up only 18 percent of the 1 million children in public preschool programs in the United States. However, according to the report, those 18 percent of black kids, make up almost half of the preschool children who are suspended.
White children attend preschool more often than black and Hispanic children; make up 28 percent of the suspensions. Hispanics children also attend preschool at a higher rate than blacks yet account for 25 percent of preschool suspensions. The full story on what’s behind the suspension is difficult to tell because the report doesn’t explain why the students were suspended. I’m sure there are exceptions, but it is hard to believe that a 4 or 5-year old would pose any sort of physical threat that a teacher could not handle fairly easily.
Daniel Losen of UCLA’s Civil Rights Project told the Associated Press that, “Almost none of these kids are kids that wouldn’t be better off with some support from educators,” and “just kicking them out of school is denying them access to educational opportunity at such a young age.”
In other words, some who are hired to teach our children are doing the worst thing they can do to a young student, kicking them out- the opposite of education!
When President Obama announced his “My Brother’s Keeper” program aimed at young black and Hispanic men, he did it by saying we must acknowledge a simple fact that some in our society are left behind more often and need help getting back on track. That realignment must start well before birth and surely by the time black children start the education process. There must be practices and strategies put in place to help children with behavioral issues so that those issues can be addressed before a child is kicked out of preschool.
Children want nothing more than to fit in, accepted, to be loved. The best way to love them is to make sure their futures are secure.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Don Lemon: Why Are Black Preschoolers Suspended More Than Whites?