Rep. Gail Finney, a Wichita, Kansas lawmaker, introduced a bill last week that would define corporal punishment and protect the rights of individuals who spank and leave marks on children from being charged with child abuse. The controversial move has sparked a heated debate with opponents referring to the move as “disturbing,” according to The Wichita Eagle.
Kansas is one of 20 states that still permits spanking in school. The proposed legislation would allow individuals such as parents, caregivers or school officials to hit children, including those students over 18 who are enrolled in high school. The current spanking law in the state, which Finney feels is not clearly defined, allows the act sans any telltale marks. Finney’s proposed House Bill 2699 would more succinctly define corporal punishment as “up to 10 forceful applications in succession of a bare, open-hand palm against the clothed buttocks of a child.”
House Bill 2699 would also permit “reasonable physical force” in order to restrain a child during a spanking,”acknowledging that redness or bruising may occur on the tender skin of a child as a result.”
The bill does draw the line on such disciplining tactics as striking a child with fists, a belt, or a switch about the head or torso.
Finney is staunchly behind her proposed bill and views it as necessary because of the current climate in schools across the country. “What’s happening is there are some children that are very defiant and they’re not minding their parents, they’re not minding school personnel,” the Democratic representative told The Eagle.
Many who oppose spanking believe that the act is ineffective, antiquated and can actually foster aggressive behaviors in children. John Valusek, a retired Wichita psychologist and teacher who vehemently opposes spanking, has led a campaign against the act for over ten years. Valusek thinks spanking is not only unnecessary but damaging to young ones, saying, “If you hit kids when they’re small, for whatever reason you’re hitting them, you’re planting the idea that it’s OK to use pain to accomplish an end,” he said.
Wichita Catholic schools also do not condone the physical act against children and their policy guidelines clearly stipulate that “corporal punishment will not be used in the Catholic schools of the Diocese of Wichita.”
Dorothy Adams. a fifth grade teacher in the Wichita school system, cannot even fathom striking a child in her classroom. “What kind of message would I be sending to them if I chose to hit them for something they had done?” Adams asked. “I am not saying I am for or against spanking. What I am saying is that it has no place in schools,” she said. “We are always striving to make our classrooms safer for children. This would be working against that effort.”
Rep. John Rubin, chairman of the House Corrections and Juvenile Justice Committee, also expressed doubt at the legislation, telling KCTV that he isn’t sure the committee will even consider the bill.
Meanwhile, Finney, who has three sons and four grandchildren, plans to introduce the legislation again in the next legislative session if the committee does not consider it.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30