Rep. Gail Finney, a Wichita, Kansas lawmaker, introduced a bill last week that would define corporal punishment and protect the rights of individuals who spank and leave marks on children from being charged with child abuse. The controversial move has sparked a heated debate with opponents referring to the move as “disturbing,” according to The Wichita Eagle.
Kansas is one of 20 states that still permits spanking in school. The proposed legislation would allow individuals such as parents, caregivers or school officials to hit children, including those students over 18 who are enrolled in high school. The current spanking law in the state, which Finney feels is not clearly defined, allows the act sans any telltale marks. Finney’s proposed House Bill 2699 would more succinctly define corporal punishment as “up to 10 forceful applications in succession of a bare, open-hand palm against the clothed buttocks of a child.”
House Bill 2699 would also permit “reasonable physical force” in order to restrain a child during a spanking,”acknowledging that redness or bruising may occur on the tender skin of a child as a result.”
The bill does draw the line on such disciplining tactics as striking a child with fists, a belt, or a switch about the head or torso.
Finney is staunchly behind her proposed bill and views it as necessary because of the current climate in schools across the country. “What’s happening is there are some children that are very defiant and they’re not minding their parents, they’re not minding school personnel,” the Democratic representative told The Eagle.
Many who oppose spanking believe that the act is ineffective, antiquated and can actually foster aggressive behaviors in children. John Valusek, a retired Wichita psychologist and teacher who vehemently opposes spanking, has led a campaign against the act for over ten years. Valusek thinks spanking is not only unnecessary but damaging to young ones, saying, “If you hit kids when they’re small, for whatever reason you’re hitting them, you’re planting the idea that it’s OK to use pain to accomplish an end,” he said.
Wichita Catholic schools also do not condone the physical act against children and their policy guidelines clearly stipulate that “corporal punishment will not be used in the Catholic schools of the Diocese of Wichita.”
Dorothy Adams. a fifth grade teacher in the Wichita school system, cannot even fathom striking a child in her classroom. “What kind of message would I be sending to them if I chose to hit them for something they had done?” Adams asked. “I am not saying I am for or against spanking. What I am saying is that it has no place in schools,” she said. “We are always striving to make our classrooms safer for children. This would be working against that effort.”
Rep. John Rubin, chairman of the House Corrections and Juvenile Justice Committee, also expressed doubt at the legislation, telling KCTV that he isn’t sure the committee will even consider the bill.
Meanwhile, Finney, who has three sons and four grandchildren, plans to introduce the legislation again in the next legislative session if the committee does not consider it.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25