Supporters of Marissa Alexander received a bit of good news Wednesday as the trial for the mother of three has been pushed back to July 28, 2014.
According to Bruce Zimet, Alexander’s attorney, the trial’s initial date, March 31, was too soon for adequate preparation. The new date, which was set on Jan. 30, is a plus for Zimet, who added that he needs additional time to get expert witnesses on battered women’s syndrome, ballistics, and research into contested testimony at Alexander’s first trial.
In addition to setting a new trial date, Judge James Daniel revealed his desire to ban live-streaming and the use of Twitter in the courtroom as well as impose strict rules on media coverage of the case in order to “control what picture is being shown” in pre-trial publicity.
The new trial date is the latest development surrounding Alexander, who was sentenced to 20 years behind bars for firing a warning shot to stop her estranged husband, a serial abuser, from attacking her. A Florida Appeals Court granted Alexander a new trial after serving nearly three years. With the first trial improperly forcing Alexander to prove her innocence, Alexander was granted a new trial by the appeals court. Alexander, who was released on bond on Thanksgiving Day 2013, is currently under house detention until the conclusion of her new trial.
“The error in Alexander’s first trial has cost the state and taxpayers. But Marissa and her family have paid more than anyone financially and emotionally,” Sumayya Fire, a leader of the national Free Marissa Now mobilization and the African American/Black Women’s Cultural Alliance, said in a news release. “While we are anxious to see Marissa exonerated and free from house detention as soon as possible, we also want her to get the best trial possible. Marissa’s family appreciates the court’s flexibility in rescheduling the trial and allowing more time for preparation. Marissa’s thousands of supporters are confident she will win when the jurors understand her situation as a battered woman. Justice really demands that State Prosecutor Angela Corey drop the charges now and not put this woman through the cost and anxiety of another trial.”
To help drive home its cause, The Free Marissa Now Mobilization campaign is utilizing the month of February to raise awareness of Alexander’s case and other criminalized survivors of domestic violence. Supporters are urged to hold rallies and forums, create art, fundraise for Alexander’s legal defense fund, send cards to Alexander and other survivors of violence, and use social networking to help get the word out.
Among the scheduled events are the launch of the Free Marissa DJ project on February 10 as well as a week’s worth of awareness activities from Feb. 8-16 and Feb. 14-16. The Free Marissa DJ Project centers around people dedicating a song to freeing Alexander and ending domestic violence and mass incarceration.
For more information on efforts to raise awareness of the Marissa Alexander situation, visit www.FreeMarissaNow.org, www.freemarissanow.tumblr.com or Facebook.com/FreeMarissaNow.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25