Supporters of Marissa Alexander received a bit of good news Wednesday as the trial for the mother of three has been pushed back to July 28, 2014.
According to Bruce Zimet, Alexander’s attorney, the trial’s initial date, March 31, was too soon for adequate preparation. The new date, which was set on Jan. 30, is a plus for Zimet, who added that he needs additional time to get expert witnesses on battered women’s syndrome, ballistics, and research into contested testimony at Alexander’s first trial.
In addition to setting a new trial date, Judge James Daniel revealed his desire to ban live-streaming and the use of Twitter in the courtroom as well as impose strict rules on media coverage of the case in order to “control what picture is being shown” in pre-trial publicity.
The new trial date is the latest development surrounding Alexander, who was sentenced to 20 years behind bars for firing a warning shot to stop her estranged husband, a serial abuser, from attacking her. A Florida Appeals Court granted Alexander a new trial after serving nearly three years. With the first trial improperly forcing Alexander to prove her innocence, Alexander was granted a new trial by the appeals court. Alexander, who was released on bond on Thanksgiving Day 2013, is currently under house detention until the conclusion of her new trial.
“The error in Alexander’s first trial has cost the state and taxpayers. But Marissa and her family have paid more than anyone financially and emotionally,” Sumayya Fire, a leader of the national Free Marissa Now mobilization and the African American/Black Women’s Cultural Alliance, said in a news release. “While we are anxious to see Marissa exonerated and free from house detention as soon as possible, we also want her to get the best trial possible. Marissa’s family appreciates the court’s flexibility in rescheduling the trial and allowing more time for preparation. Marissa’s thousands of supporters are confident she will win when the jurors understand her situation as a battered woman. Justice really demands that State Prosecutor Angela Corey drop the charges now and not put this woman through the cost and anxiety of another trial.”
To help drive home its cause, The Free Marissa Now Mobilization campaign is utilizing the month of February to raise awareness of Alexander’s case and other criminalized survivors of domestic violence. Supporters are urged to hold rallies and forums, create art, fundraise for Alexander’s legal defense fund, send cards to Alexander and other survivors of violence, and use social networking to help get the word out.
Among the scheduled events are the launch of the Free Marissa DJ project on February 10 as well as a week’s worth of awareness activities from Feb. 8-16 and Feb. 14-16. The Free Marissa DJ Project centers around people dedicating a song to freeing Alexander and ending domestic violence and mass incarceration.
For more information on efforts to raise awareness of the Marissa Alexander situation, visit www.FreeMarissaNow.org, www.freemarissanow.tumblr.com or Facebook.com/FreeMarissaNow.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30