Supporters of Marissa Alexander received a bit of good news Wednesday as the trial for the mother of three has been pushed back to July 28, 2014.
According to Bruce Zimet, Alexander’s attorney, the trial’s initial date, March 31, was too soon for adequate preparation. The new date, which was set on Jan. 30, is a plus for Zimet, who added that he needs additional time to get expert witnesses on battered women’s syndrome, ballistics, and research into contested testimony at Alexander’s first trial.
In addition to setting a new trial date, Judge James Daniel revealed his desire to ban live-streaming and the use of Twitter in the courtroom as well as impose strict rules on media coverage of the case in order to “control what picture is being shown” in pre-trial publicity.
The new trial date is the latest development surrounding Alexander, who was sentenced to 20 years behind bars for firing a warning shot to stop her estranged husband, a serial abuser, from attacking her. A Florida Appeals Court granted Alexander a new trial after serving nearly three years. With the first trial improperly forcing Alexander to prove her innocence, Alexander was granted a new trial by the appeals court. Alexander, who was released on bond on Thanksgiving Day 2013, is currently under house detention until the conclusion of her new trial.
“The error in Alexander’s first trial has cost the state and taxpayers. But Marissa and her family have paid more than anyone financially and emotionally,” Sumayya Fire, a leader of the national Free Marissa Now mobilization and the African American/Black Women’s Cultural Alliance, said in a news release. “While we are anxious to see Marissa exonerated and free from house detention as soon as possible, we also want her to get the best trial possible. Marissa’s family appreciates the court’s flexibility in rescheduling the trial and allowing more time for preparation. Marissa’s thousands of supporters are confident she will win when the jurors understand her situation as a battered woman. Justice really demands that State Prosecutor Angela Corey drop the charges now and not put this woman through the cost and anxiety of another trial.”
To help drive home its cause, The Free Marissa Now Mobilization campaign is utilizing the month of February to raise awareness of Alexander’s case and other criminalized survivors of domestic violence. Supporters are urged to hold rallies and forums, create art, fundraise for Alexander’s legal defense fund, send cards to Alexander and other survivors of violence, and use social networking to help get the word out.
Among the scheduled events are the launch of the Free Marissa DJ project on February 10 as well as a week’s worth of awareness activities from Feb. 8-16 and Feb. 14-16. The Free Marissa DJ Project centers around people dedicating a song to freeing Alexander and ending domestic violence and mass incarceration.
For more information on efforts to raise awareness of the Marissa Alexander situation, visit www.FreeMarissaNow.org, www.freemarissanow.tumblr.com or Facebook.com/FreeMarissaNow.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31