Oprah Winfrey is coming for BET and any other Black network that wants to be relevant. Her OWN network has already signed another Tyler Perry series based on the upcoming movie Single Mom’s Club and now she’s got a reality show sure to please fans of Basketball Wives and The Game. Former WNBA player Pamela McGhee and her son JaVale McGhee, who plays for the Denver Nuggets, are the subject of the new OWN reality show Mom’s Got Game, which premieres on Saturday, January 18th.
“It’s real TV. He is actually my son and he actually plays in the NBA,” McGhee told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “I’m not his momager, I’m his business manager. I’ve been in the game, played the game, won so many championships, been a professional athlete so I have insight and relationships most mothers don’t have.”
McGhee, a native of Flint, Michigan, who played overseas and with the Los Angeles Sparks and the Sacramento Monarchs in the WNBA as well as winning a gold medal in the 1984 Olympics, says she and her son have been dubbed the real life version of Tasha Mack and Malik on The Game. McGhee says she handles her son’s business affairs, but that’s where it stops.
“I don’t manage his relationships although he would like to manage mine,” laughs McGhee. “We really get into that in the show. I just celebrated my 50th birthday. I’m a WNBA Hall of Famer, and we’re the first WNBA mom to have a son in the NBA. So we’re exploring all those options mothers go through. He’s a grown man now and I’ve got to learn to let him go.”
McGhee’s daughter Imani is also a ballplayer – she’s on a basketball scholarship at Tennessee. But the focus of the show is on McGhee’s relationships with her girlfriends, who have also been professional athletes or in one case, married to an athlete.
“Both of my girls are on the show – Val Steele, still the leading scorer men and women at University of Kentucky. My other girlfriends are Kym Hampton, who played in the WNBA and Monique Payton, who was married to Gary Payton. We’re trophy women, but we’re women with trophies. I’m tired of seeing women out there that think that we always gotta have a man to rescue us to be successful and that you gotta marry a rich man. All my girls are disproving that.”
McGhee says that one thing she’s taught her son is to be grateful for what they have. A single mother, she raised both her children by herself.
“I want single mothers to know that my son didn’t just wake up one day and make it to the NBA. There was a lot of work involved. We’re new money. Even though my son just signed a $44 million dollar deal, his grandmother, my mother, cleaned toilets for $1.25 an hour so that all her children could go to college to lay the bridge for him. That’s what I’m so glad that its airing on the Oprah Winfrey Network because she laid the bridge for a strong black woman like me.”
Mom’s Got Game airs on the Oprah Winfrey Network on Saturday, January 18th at 10 p.m.
Watch the first five minutes of the show below.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31