Oprah Winfrey is coming for BET and any other Black network that wants to be relevant. Her OWN network has already signed another Tyler Perry series based on the upcoming movie Single Mom’s Club and now she’s got a reality show sure to please fans of Basketball Wives and The Game. Former WNBA player Pamela McGhee and her son JaVale McGhee, who plays for the Denver Nuggets, are the subject of the new OWN reality show Mom’s Got Game, which premieres on Saturday, January 18th.
“It’s real TV. He is actually my son and he actually plays in the NBA,” McGhee told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “I’m not his momager, I’m his business manager. I’ve been in the game, played the game, won so many championships, been a professional athlete so I have insight and relationships most mothers don’t have.”
McGhee, a native of Flint, Michigan, who played overseas and with the Los Angeles Sparks and the Sacramento Monarchs in the WNBA as well as winning a gold medal in the 1984 Olympics, says she and her son have been dubbed the real life version of Tasha Mack and Malik on The Game. McGhee says she handles her son’s business affairs, but that’s where it stops.
“I don’t manage his relationships although he would like to manage mine,” laughs McGhee. “We really get into that in the show. I just celebrated my 50th birthday. I’m a WNBA Hall of Famer, and we’re the first WNBA mom to have a son in the NBA. So we’re exploring all those options mothers go through. He’s a grown man now and I’ve got to learn to let him go.”
McGhee’s daughter Imani is also a ballplayer – she’s on a basketball scholarship at Tennessee. But the focus of the show is on McGhee’s relationships with her girlfriends, who have also been professional athletes or in one case, married to an athlete.
“Both of my girls are on the show – Val Steele, still the leading scorer men and women at University of Kentucky. My other girlfriends are Kym Hampton, who played in the WNBA and Monique Payton, who was married to Gary Payton. We’re trophy women, but we’re women with trophies. I’m tired of seeing women out there that think that we always gotta have a man to rescue us to be successful and that you gotta marry a rich man. All my girls are disproving that.”
McGhee says that one thing she’s taught her son is to be grateful for what they have. A single mother, she raised both her children by herself.
“I want single mothers to know that my son didn’t just wake up one day and make it to the NBA. There was a lot of work involved. We’re new money. Even though my son just signed a $44 million dollar deal, his grandmother, my mother, cleaned toilets for $1.25 an hour so that all her children could go to college to lay the bridge for him. That’s what I’m so glad that its airing on the Oprah Winfrey Network because she laid the bridge for a strong black woman like me.”
Mom’s Got Game airs on the Oprah Winfrey Network on Saturday, January 18th at 10 p.m.
Watch the first five minutes of the show below.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25