Abu Bakarr Saccoh has two bachelor’s and a master’s degree and is seeking a job as an accountant. But, for the moment , he is making ends meet by driving a cab instead.
Unable to find a job in his chosen field for the past two years, Saccoh decided to conjure up a way in which he could cleverly market himself in hopes of landing a job in his line of work by posting his resume in the passenger area of the cab he drives, reports NBC 10.
The Sierra Leone native, who drives and lives in Philadelphia, decided that publicly advertising his resume in the cab would highly increase his chances of coming in contact with someone who could help him secure an accounting position.
“The first thing I do when I jump in my cab — after I put my certificate up and get everything in order — I immediately put my resume up, Saccoh told NBC 10. “In my cab, you never know who you’re gonna run in to. It’s all about increasing your chances.”
The 43-year-old cab driver has been at his off-the-beaten-path self-promotion for a year-and-a-half. He has also covered his entire job searching bases by posting his resume on practically every major career search website.
Saccoh claims that he does enjoy driving cabs but prefers to be an accountant. He says such a position can help his countrymen who oftentimes have trouble understanding the tax filing process on these shores. “Many of my people are very scared about taxes or they don’t understand it,” he said. “They need somebody they can talk to in their own language, that will tell them how to do it. So, maybe I can have a tax business and do their taxes. That is where I think I will add value, not only to a company but also to my community. That is what is important.”
While Saccoh’s self-promotion has not landed him a job yet, he has received lots of positive feedback and a few savvy pieces of advice from his customers. “Every single person that jumps in my cab and sees my resume, you can tell they want to do anything they can do to help,” he said. “People offer different things; they offer to edit my resume to make it look better or to forward it to other people. People are willing and prepared to help in a lot of different ways.”
However, the Philadelphia Parking Authority (PPA) does not sanction Saccoh’s marketing ploy and, according to their spokesman Marty O’Rourke, if an inspector comes across a driver’s unauthorized posted materials in their cabs, he or she will get slapped with a hefty fine.
Meanwhile, Saccoh is not trembling in his boots about possibly getting caught by a PPA inspector and told NBC 10 that a fine might be well worth the extra exposure stating, “I wake up every morning thinking I’m gonna hit my defining moment today, you know. I am very, very hopeful that the opportunity will come at any moment; maybe from someone who gets in my cab.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25