Abu Bakarr Saccoh has two bachelor’s and a master’s degree and is seeking a job as an accountant. But, for the moment , he is making ends meet by driving a cab instead.
Unable to find a job in his chosen field for the past two years, Saccoh decided to conjure up a way in which he could cleverly market himself in hopes of landing a job in his line of work by posting his resume in the passenger area of the cab he drives, reports NBC 10.
The Sierra Leone native, who drives and lives in Philadelphia, decided that publicly advertising his resume in the cab would highly increase his chances of coming in contact with someone who could help him secure an accounting position.
“The first thing I do when I jump in my cab — after I put my certificate up and get everything in order — I immediately put my resume up, Saccoh told NBC 10. “In my cab, you never know who you’re gonna run in to. It’s all about increasing your chances.”
The 43-year-old cab driver has been at his off-the-beaten-path self-promotion for a year-and-a-half. He has also covered his entire job searching bases by posting his resume on practically every major career search website.
Saccoh claims that he does enjoy driving cabs but prefers to be an accountant. He says such a position can help his countrymen who oftentimes have trouble understanding the tax filing process on these shores. “Many of my people are very scared about taxes or they don’t understand it,” he said. “They need somebody they can talk to in their own language, that will tell them how to do it. So, maybe I can have a tax business and do their taxes. That is where I think I will add value, not only to a company but also to my community. That is what is important.”
While Saccoh’s self-promotion has not landed him a job yet, he has received lots of positive feedback and a few savvy pieces of advice from his customers. “Every single person that jumps in my cab and sees my resume, you can tell they want to do anything they can do to help,” he said. “People offer different things; they offer to edit my resume to make it look better or to forward it to other people. People are willing and prepared to help in a lot of different ways.”
However, the Philadelphia Parking Authority (PPA) does not sanction Saccoh’s marketing ploy and, according to their spokesman Marty O’Rourke, if an inspector comes across a driver’s unauthorized posted materials in their cabs, he or she will get slapped with a hefty fine.
Meanwhile, Saccoh is not trembling in his boots about possibly getting caught by a PPA inspector and told NBC 10 that a fine might be well worth the extra exposure stating, “I wake up every morning thinking I’m gonna hit my defining moment today, you know. I am very, very hopeful that the opportunity will come at any moment; maybe from someone who gets in my cab.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30