Abu Bakarr Saccoh has two bachelor’s and a master’s degree and is seeking a job as an accountant. But, for the moment , he is making ends meet by driving a cab instead.
Unable to find a job in his chosen field for the past two years, Saccoh decided to conjure up a way in which he could cleverly market himself in hopes of landing a job in his line of work by posting his resume in the passenger area of the cab he drives, reports NBC 10.
The Sierra Leone native, who drives and lives in Philadelphia, decided that publicly advertising his resume in the cab would highly increase his chances of coming in contact with someone who could help him secure an accounting position.
“The first thing I do when I jump in my cab — after I put my certificate up and get everything in order — I immediately put my resume up, Saccoh told NBC 10. “In my cab, you never know who you’re gonna run in to. It’s all about increasing your chances.”
The 43-year-old cab driver has been at his off-the-beaten-path self-promotion for a year-and-a-half. He has also covered his entire job searching bases by posting his resume on practically every major career search website.
Saccoh claims that he does enjoy driving cabs but prefers to be an accountant. He says such a position can help his countrymen who oftentimes have trouble understanding the tax filing process on these shores. “Many of my people are very scared about taxes or they don’t understand it,” he said. “They need somebody they can talk to in their own language, that will tell them how to do it. So, maybe I can have a tax business and do their taxes. That is where I think I will add value, not only to a company but also to my community. That is what is important.”
While Saccoh’s self-promotion has not landed him a job yet, he has received lots of positive feedback and a few savvy pieces of advice from his customers. “Every single person that jumps in my cab and sees my resume, you can tell they want to do anything they can do to help,” he said. “People offer different things; they offer to edit my resume to make it look better or to forward it to other people. People are willing and prepared to help in a lot of different ways.”
However, the Philadelphia Parking Authority (PPA) does not sanction Saccoh’s marketing ploy and, according to their spokesman Marty O’Rourke, if an inspector comes across a driver’s unauthorized posted materials in their cabs, he or she will get slapped with a hefty fine.
Meanwhile, Saccoh is not trembling in his boots about possibly getting caught by a PPA inspector and told NBC 10 that a fine might be well worth the extra exposure stating, “I wake up every morning thinking I’m gonna hit my defining moment today, you know. I am very, very hopeful that the opportunity will come at any moment; maybe from someone who gets in my cab.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31