PHOENIX (AP) — An Arizona woman tried to fatally stab her ex-husband and poison her four children with prescription narcotic drugs, including a teenage daughter who was found dead in her home on Christmas Day, police said Monday.
She lured the man to her apartment and stabbed him repeatedly before he was able to flee and drive himself to a hospital while calling 911.
Connie Villa, 35, was arrested Sunday after being released from a hospital on suspicion of one count of first-degree murder and four counts of attempted murder in the Christmas Day attack in Casa Grande, about 50 miles south of Phoenix.
It was not immediately known whether she had an attorney. A possible motive hasn’t been disclosed, but investigators have found no history of mental illness or previous calls to the home during their initial probe. The investigation was ongoing.
According to authorities, the ex-husband, Adam Villa, called 911 after fleeing the apartment with multiple stab wounds. He remained hospitalized Monday in stable condition. Responding officers found the body of Aniarael Macias, 13, lying on a bathroom floor, said Casa Grande police Officer Thomas Anderson.
The body had no visible signs of injury or trauma, and an autopsy report was inconclusive on the cause of death, Anderson said.
Authorities are awaiting toxicology results, which could take up to a month, but they believe she was likely poisoned.
The three other children, ages 3, 5 and 8, were in good condition. Anderson said initial tests show each child had trace amounts of opiates in their systems.
Authorities would only say the drugs found in the apartment were “prescription narcotics.”
“Our investigation indicates Connie Villa forced her children to take prescription narcotic drugs in an attempt to kill them,” police said in a statement.
Upon arriving at the home Wednesday, police were forced to break in and found Connie Villa standing in the apartment with what appeared to be self-inflicted stab wounds to her torso, a knife in her hand and the three young children at her side.
The 13-year-old was found dead during a search of the home.
Connie Villa had apparently enticed her ex-husband to come by intending to kill him, too, Anderson said.
“He was lured to the apartment, under what pretense we don’t know yet, but we don’t have any indication he had any fear of going over there,” Anderson added.
The three surviving children have been placed by Child Protective Service’s with Adam Villa’s family. He was not the father of the 13-year-old, police said.
“She was a gentle, kind and beautiful spirit who was taken from us too soon,” family members of Aniarael Macias said in a statement.
In 2006, happier times seemed apparent in the Villa household as Adam Villa returned from a one-year deployment to Iraq with the Arizona Army National Guard.
When he stepped off the plane upon his return, Connie Villa broke into tears.
“Just to know he’s safe and in one piece, just to smell him,” she told The Arizona Republic at the time. “I just want to be normal again and have a family.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25