The NYPD’s Civilian Complaint Review Board is prosecuting an officer for a wrongful stop and frisk, the first time it has ever done so, according to the New York Daily News.
Brooklyn resident Yahnick Martin claims he was waiting for his wife outside a Bedford-Stuyvesant building while she was delivering Christmas presents on Dec. 23, 2011. Suddenly, three officers approached Martin, alleging they smelled marijuana on him (Martin was smoking a cigar at the time).
After searching his pockets, Martin began complaining about the stop.
“OK. I’ll put my hands up but this is really bulls–t,” he says he told them. One officer, Roman Goris, removed a lighter and wallet from Martin’s pockets before handing them back. Martin said he then noticed some money in his wallet was missing.
“Where’s the $100 that was in my pocket?” he asked, as Goris and his colleagues were walking away. This apparently irked Goris, who returned his attention to the married father and began arguing with him.
Martin asked Goris for his badge number and name. “You want to be a smartass and make accusations, you’re going to jail,” he says one of the officers told him.
Goris then handcuffed Martin tightly and took him to a nearby precinct, court papers allege. The officers refused a request by Martin to wait for his wife, because their car was parked nearby with the keys inside and the engine still running. By the time Martin’s wife returned, the car was gone, the papers said. Martin received a summons for disorderly conduct that was eventually thrown out. This March, he filed lawsuits against Goris and the NYPD.
The review board answered an abuse of authority complaint Martin filed earlier this year. In addition to prosecuting the disciplinary trial against Goris, the CCRB also has the authority to offer recommendations for his sentence.
This power comes as a result of the NYPD granting the board more authoritative oversight this past spring. Before hand, they simply forwarded their findings to the department; a departmental prosecutor would then present the case to a judge.
“I’m glad the CCRB is taking this role.” said Alan Levine, Martin’s lawyer. Though the board has more pull, the police commissioner still has to authorize any punishments, and has the power to alter them at his desire.
“He’s contesting all the allegations against him and is looking forward to his opportunity to be heard.” commented Mitch Garber, Goris’ lawyer for Martin’s lawsuit.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30