MIAMI (AP) — Prosecutors say they will not file domestic violence charges against George Zimmerman after his girlfriend said in a sworn statement she did not want to pursue the case.
State Attorney Phil Archer in Seminole County said in a statement Wednesday that Samantha Scheibe‘s decision not to cooperate and the lack of other corroborating evidence made a successful prosecution unlikely.
Zimmerman had faced charges of aggravated assault, battery and criminal mischief following a Nov. 18 incident at the central Florida house he shared with Scheibe. She initially told police Zimmerman pointed a shotgun at her face, then recanted in an affidavit filed this week.
Zimmerman was acquitted last summer in the shooting death of unarmed, black teenager Trayvon Martin. The case sparked a nationwide debate about race and self-defense laws.
Folks Jailed While Zimmerman Walks Free
9 photos Launch gallery
1. Lauryn Hill served jail time on a tax conviction. (Photo: AP)
1 of 9
2. Michael Vick served time for dog fighting. (Photo: PRPhotos)
2 of 9
3. In 2007, Lil Wayne was jailed for smoking marijuana and for possession of a pistol outside his tour bus. (Photo: AP)
3 of 9
4. Rapper Ja Rule was jailed for possession of a weapon and tax evasion. (Photo: AP)
4 of 9
5. Wesley Snipes was jailed for failing to file federal income tax returns.
5 of 9
6. Singer Ron Isley was jailed for tax evasion. (Photo: AP)
6 of 9
7. Lil Kim served time for three counts of perjury and one count of conspiracy related to a shooting outside a Manhattan studio. No one was injured.
7 of 9
8. Martin Luther King, Jr. was jailed several times for peacefully protesting during the Civil Rights Movement. (Photo: AP)
8 of 9
9. Domestic abuse victim Marissa Alexander was sentenced to 20 years in prison in 2012 for firing two warning shots into a wall. (Photo: Hellobeautiful)
9 of 9