Prosecutor: Decision in Winston Case Unlikely Next Week

Comments: Comments Are Disabled  | Leave A Comment
  • advertisement
  • TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — State Attorney Willie Meggs said Saturday it is unlikely that a final decision will be made before Thanksgiving on whether to charge Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston in a sexual assault case.

    Meggs’s comments came just a day after the family of the alleged victim sent out a statement disputing the victim consented to sex with Winston as had been suggested by his attorney earlier this week.

    “To be clear, the victim did not consent. This was a rape,” the family said in the statement, released late Friday.

    Earlier this week, Timothy Jansen, an attorney representing Winston, suggested that the player and the alleged victim may have had consensual sex. Jansen made his comments after results from a DNA report showed Winston’s DNA was found in the underwear of the accuser. Jansen said he was “not surprised” that the DNA was found and that he “anticipated” it would be discovered.

    The family in its statement added that the “consent defense is too little too late and is clearly reactive damage control by Jansen after learning the DNA matched his client.”

    Prosecutors have the DNA report and have also interviewed the victim. Meggs on Friday said that prosecutors need to do four or five things to wrap up their investigation. But a day later the veteran prosecutor said that “not everything has fallen into place.”

    “I very seriously doubt that we will be finished by Thanksgiving,” Meggs said. “We still haven’t gotten everything we need to get.”

    1 2 Next page »

    Tags: » »

    • More Related Content

    Follow

    Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

    Join 2,022 other followers