A father from Westminster, Colo., posted a selfie of himself with his baby girl on Facebook before shooting her and himself in an attempted murder-suicide, ABC’s Channel 7 News in Denver reports.
Westminster police say that the mother of the baby called them around 9:35 a.m. Monday to say that she woke up to her ex-boyfriend Merrick McKoy, 22, (pictured with daughter before shooting) standing over her with a gun. The mother, Kimphone “Kim” Phanthavongsa, 21, told the cops of an altercation at her apartment and that her ex-boyfriend was inside with their baby before leaving for help.
When police arrived on the scene, they heard gunshots and eventually founded a baby and an adult male with gunshot wounds. Both were taken to a local hospital, but 19-month-old Mia McKoy-Phanthavongsa died, apparently from a gunshot wound to the head. McKoy’s status is unknown.
Police say that McKoy has an active restraining order prohibiting him from being at the apartment. The motive behind the shooting has not been officially established, but a neighbor says that McKoy was upset that Kim broke up with him.
“He would just say that he wanted to be with her and if he can’t be with her, nobody can be with her,” the neighbor said. “I’m shocked. It’s hard to believe that someone you know would do something like that.”
The photo of McCoy and his baby taken before the shooting has since been taken down from his Facebook page, along with the following status updates, which were captured by the New York Daily News:
Here are a few more details on McCoy’s criminal history, per ABC’s Channel 7 News in Denver:
McKoy was arrested by Westminster police on Sept. 27 in a domestic violence incident Kim Phanthavongsa. He was charged with assault, burglary, trespassing and telephone harassment, according to court records. An Adams County judge issued a mandatory protection order on Sept. 30, the same day McKoy was released from jail after posting $20,000 bond.
On June 25, McKoy filed a lawsuit petitioning Kim Phanthavongsa for allocation of parental responsibilities for their child. In such petitions, people seek to exercise their parental rights, which can include things such as decision-making responsibilities for the child, parenting time and establishment of a child support order.
The little girl had just learned how to navigate the world in which she spent little time, according to friends and family.
“She just learned how to walk,” Vannatda Sivixai told ABC Channel 7 Denver. “What an angel. Whenever she smiled it was bright.”
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.