Deya Gets direct with Chef Jess: Get tips on how to cook healthy, in season and on budget for Thanksgiving. BONUS: Chef Jess gives us a healthy recipe for Mac n Cheese.
My Better Mac and Cheese
Yield 4 servings
• 1 cup butternut squash puree (find in freezer section)
• .5 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
• 1 cup skim milk
• 1 tablespoons plain fat-free Greek yogurt- can use other plain yogurt
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 1/4 cup shredded extra sharp white cheddar plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling on top.
• 3/4 cup grated parmesan
• 5 oz uncooked elbow macaroni (preferably wheat)
• 1 egg or 2 egg whites (whisked)
• Cooking spray
• 4 ceramic ramekins- approximately 1 cup each
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Combine squash, broth, and milk, in a medium saucepan; heat for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium- low, add salt, pepper, and cayenne, simmer for 5 minutes stirring so that the mixture does not stick to the pan. Turn off heat.
3. Add yogurt ,1 1/4 cup Cheddar and Parmesan. Stir until combined.
4. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; reserving ¼ C of cooked pasta water incase cheese mixture is too thick) drain well. Add pasta to squash mixture, and stir until combined. Add in whisked egg, stir. Coat 4 ceramic ramekins with cooking spray; add mixture. Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese (dividing cheese evenly among the 4 dishes) then paprika on top.
5. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes.
6. Enjoy the fact the you have cut out a minimum of 500 calories per serving, when comparing it to traditional mac and cheese!