Who are Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam? Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam were a popular ‘80s group credited with bringing “freestyle music”—a Latin-influenced blend of pop and R&B—to the mainstream. Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam are best known for such hits as “I Wonder If I Take You Home,” “Head to Toe,” “Lost In Emotion,” and “All Cried Out.” During their career, they scored five gold singles and twice topped the Billboard Hot 100 charts. Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam is a band everyone knows and loves, even if they don’t think they do.
Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam were fronted by Lisa Velez, a New York City native born on Jan. 15, 1967, in the Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood of Manhattan. As a child, Velez dreamed of becoming a star. One night at the Fun House, a popular nightspot for breakdancers and rappers, the then-16-year-old hopeful met up with Mike Hughes, a percussionist and roadie for the group Full Force. At the time, Full Force was looking for a female singer, and with Velez on board, they came together as Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam. Their debut single, “I Wonder If I Take You Home,” dropped first in Europe, but when American DJs began playing the import, it took off at home, and in the summer of 1985, it reached no. 34 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Who are Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam? That’s a question folks began asking across the country when Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam With Full Force released their debut album in 1985. The disc spawned the hits “Can You Feel the Beat” and “All Cried Out,” which climbed to No. 8 on the pop charts. Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam’s second album, “Spanish Fly,” fared even better, rocketing to No. 7 on the Billboard 200 and yielding the chart-topping singles “Head to Toe” and “Lost In Emotion.”
Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam’s next two LPs, “Straight to the Sky” (1989) and “Straight Outta Hell’s Kitchen,” didn’t soar quite as high—they peaked at No. 77 and 133, respectively—and “LL77” (1994) and “Life ‘n Love” (2009) failed to chart at all, but even so, Lisa Lisa remains popular, and if you ask in-the-know music fans, “Who are Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam?” they’ll tell you Velez and her crew were true freestyle innovators whose songs still sound fresh today.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25