In “Wait….Say What?” news, California Police have arrested 39-year-old Pete Jacob Lara for according to WVUE New Orleans, “picking through the mouths of the dead to steal gold teeth.” Yikes!
Prosecutors allege that Lara, an embalmer at a funeral home in Lancaster, California, was behind a string of thefts between June 25, 2012 and Oct. 28, 2013.
Lara allegedly stole and pawned teeth, a cremation urn box and medallions used to decorate urn boxes worth more than $1,000. He’s been charged with removal or possession of dental gold from human remains, grand theft by embezzlement and possession of a controlled substance, methamphetamine.
Lara pleaded not guilty in court on Wednesday and will return on Nov. 12.
Folks Jailed While Zimmerman Walks Free
9 photos Launch gallery
1. Lauryn Hill is currently serving jail time for tax evasion. (Photo: AP)
1 of 9
2. Michael Vick served time for dog fighting. (Photo: PRPhotos)
2 of 9
3. In 2007, Lil Wayne was jailed for smoking marijuana and for possession of a pistol outside his tour bus. (Photo: AP)
3 of 9
4. Rapper Ja Rule was jailed for possession of a weapon and tax evasion. (Photo: AP)
4 of 9
5. Wesley Snipes was jailed for failing to file federal income tax returns.
5 of 9
6. Singer Ron Isley was jailed for tax evasion. (Photo: AP)
6 of 9
7. Lil Kim served time for three counts of perjury and one count of conspiracy related to a shooting outside a Manhattan studio. No one was injured.
7 of 9
8. Martin Luther King, Jr. was jailed several times for peacefully protesting during the Civil Rights Movement. (Photo: AP)
8 of 9
9. Domestic abuse victim Marissa Alexander was sentenced to 20 years in prison in 2012 for firing two warning shots into a wall. (Photo: Hellobeautiful)
9 of 9