Nene Leakes is riding that reality ride to the fullest. Her new show “I Dream of Nene: The Wedding” is as popular as her role on “The Real Housewives of Atlanta where she’s been holding it down for the last 6 seasons. As of now, she is the only of the original Atlanta housewives who remains on the show. On this spinoff, airing on Bravo on Tuesdays at 9 p.m. Leakes, a former stripper and single mother, is remarrying her ex-husband, Gregg Leakes, who she originally married in 1997. They reportedly met while she was still stripping. The remarriage took place in Atlanta in June, and of course Bravo cameras were there to cover it all.
Now three episodes in, Nene and Gregg are once again sparring with each other and each other’s children as they prepare to start life together…again. That’s if only Gregg can get some closet space.
“As a woman, I only have so much space in my closet,” Leakes told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “So Gregg, he’s cool. He has a closet in the guest room. He’s happy with his closet in the guest room. He gets it.”
As for the reasons behind the split – the Leakes’ divorce was finalized in September of 2011 after the fourth season of “Real Housewives” wrapped and almost a year separation. Leakes says that the two had to reconcile some problems before they could go back to being a healthy couple.
“We had some issues. We met in 1996, and we married the first time in 1997 and were married for 16 years, which is a marriage for a lot of families anyway. Things just weren’t working out. There was no communication; he was doing things that I personally did not approve of. For me, a lot of women don’t do what I do. I live in Nene’s world. So I decided to divorce Gregg and make it work for the second time. Gregg and I went to counseling the second time around. He didn’t want to go to counseling. He felt like Black men don’t go to counseling they go to church. Greg is from the old school so he has an old way of thinking. I convinced him to go to counseling and it worked out and we ended up back together.”
I didn’t mean to do that on ‘The Housewives.’ You see I signed up for multiple years for ‘Housewives.’ You see, I’m still here. When I started working on ‘Glee’ and “The New Normal,’ I didn’t need to do anything for my profile. My profile was what it was. Greg and I broke up for real. I’m a mom and divorce is very hard. It’s very difficult. I was heartbroken. I would never do that for a profile. Why would I need to do that? I lived all these years as Nene Leakes, before a camera ever rolled in my house. I was married for real. I gave birth, for real, to his child. I would never do that.”
“I Dream of Nene” The Wedding” airs Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on Bravo. “The Real Housewives of Atlanta,” returns for Season 7 on Sunday, November 3.
Read Gregg and Nene’s blogs about the show.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30