Nene Leakes is riding that reality ride to the fullest. Her new show “I Dream of Nene: The Wedding” is as popular as her role on “The Real Housewives of Atlanta where she’s been holding it down for the last 6 seasons. As of now, she is the only of the original Atlanta housewives who remains on the show. On this spinoff, airing on Bravo on Tuesdays at 9 p.m. Leakes, a former stripper and single mother, is remarrying her ex-husband, Gregg Leakes, who she originally married in 1997. They reportedly met while she was still stripping. The remarriage took place in Atlanta in June, and of course Bravo cameras were there to cover it all.
Now three episodes in, Nene and Gregg are once again sparring with each other and each other’s children as they prepare to start life together…again. That’s if only Gregg can get some closet space.
“As a woman, I only have so much space in my closet,” Leakes told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “So Gregg, he’s cool. He has a closet in the guest room. He’s happy with his closet in the guest room. He gets it.”
As for the reasons behind the split – the Leakes’ divorce was finalized in September of 2011 after the fourth season of “Real Housewives” wrapped and almost a year separation. Leakes says that the two had to reconcile some problems before they could go back to being a healthy couple.
“We had some issues. We met in 1996, and we married the first time in 1997 and were married for 16 years, which is a marriage for a lot of families anyway. Things just weren’t working out. There was no communication; he was doing things that I personally did not approve of. For me, a lot of women don’t do what I do. I live in Nene’s world. So I decided to divorce Gregg and make it work for the second time. Gregg and I went to counseling the second time around. He didn’t want to go to counseling. He felt like Black men don’t go to counseling they go to church. Greg is from the old school so he has an old way of thinking. I convinced him to go to counseling and it worked out and we ended up back together.”
I didn’t mean to do that on ‘The Housewives.’ You see I signed up for multiple years for ‘Housewives.’ You see, I’m still here. When I started working on ‘Glee’ and “The New Normal,’ I didn’t need to do anything for my profile. My profile was what it was. Greg and I broke up for real. I’m a mom and divorce is very hard. It’s very difficult. I was heartbroken. I would never do that for a profile. Why would I need to do that? I lived all these years as Nene Leakes, before a camera ever rolled in my house. I was married for real. I gave birth, for real, to his child. I would never do that.”
“I Dream of Nene” The Wedding” airs Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on Bravo. “The Real Housewives of Atlanta,” returns for Season 7 on Sunday, November 3.
Read Gregg and Nene’s blogs about the show.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31