Nene Leakes is riding that reality ride to the fullest. Her new show “I Dream of Nene: The Wedding” is as popular as her role on “The Real Housewives of Atlanta where she’s been holding it down for the last 6 seasons. As of now, she is the only of the original Atlanta housewives who remains on the show. On this spinoff, airing on Bravo on Tuesdays at 9 p.m. Leakes, a former stripper and single mother, is remarrying her ex-husband, Gregg Leakes, who she originally married in 1997. They reportedly met while she was still stripping. The remarriage took place in Atlanta in June, and of course Bravo cameras were there to cover it all.
Now three episodes in, Nene and Gregg are once again sparring with each other and each other’s children as they prepare to start life together…again. That’s if only Gregg can get some closet space.
“As a woman, I only have so much space in my closet,” Leakes told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “So Gregg, he’s cool. He has a closet in the guest room. He’s happy with his closet in the guest room. He gets it.”
As for the reasons behind the split – the Leakes’ divorce was finalized in September of 2011 after the fourth season of “Real Housewives” wrapped and almost a year separation. Leakes says that the two had to reconcile some problems before they could go back to being a healthy couple.
“We had some issues. We met in 1996, and we married the first time in 1997 and were married for 16 years, which is a marriage for a lot of families anyway. Things just weren’t working out. There was no communication; he was doing things that I personally did not approve of. For me, a lot of women don’t do what I do. I live in Nene’s world. So I decided to divorce Gregg and make it work for the second time. Gregg and I went to counseling the second time around. He didn’t want to go to counseling. He felt like Black men don’t go to counseling they go to church. Greg is from the old school so he has an old way of thinking. I convinced him to go to counseling and it worked out and we ended up back together.”
I didn’t mean to do that on ‘The Housewives.’ You see I signed up for multiple years for ‘Housewives.’ You see, I’m still here. When I started working on ‘Glee’ and “The New Normal,’ I didn’t need to do anything for my profile. My profile was what it was. Greg and I broke up for real. I’m a mom and divorce is very hard. It’s very difficult. I was heartbroken. I would never do that for a profile. Why would I need to do that? I lived all these years as Nene Leakes, before a camera ever rolled in my house. I was married for real. I gave birth, for real, to his child. I would never do that.”
“I Dream of Nene” The Wedding” airs Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on Bravo. “The Real Housewives of Atlanta,” returns for Season 7 on Sunday, November 3.
Read Gregg and Nene’s blogs about the show.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25