On the Tom Joyner Morning Show we like to laugh, but our health is nothing to joke about. It isn’t funny that our audience suffers from many health conditions that could be improved, controlled and even eliminated with proper nutrition, exercise and health care.
We all know that this is true.
But, it’s time to do something about it!
Everyone knows someone who REALLY needs to tend to their health But they are either too scared, lazy or stubborn to make the effort. The Tom Joyner “Take A Loved One to the Doctor Day” campaign encourages us to take time and compassion to help someone we love get the health attention they need.
At the TJMS we’re all about empowering our audience by directing them toward areas that make a positive difference. “Take a Loved One to the Doctor” is a call to action that’s led to early detection of diseases and conditions causing people to change the way they live. It’s gone from one day to a year-round campaign so we can get the message out earlier and push the message longer. Each year we get testimonials of how “Take a Loved One to the Doctor” has raised awareness and in many cases indeed SAVED LIVES.
“Take a Loved One to the Doctor” is a consistent reminder for us to make being in good health a priority. At the end of the day, people are much more likely to go vote, attend PTA meetings, get educated and just get out and do more in the community when they’re feeling good. Nothing we try to accomplish through politics, entertainment, education or anything else matters more than us becoming healthier. Living healthy, active lives has got to become a priority and it all starts with one visit to the doctor.
We know the statistics and now it’s time to lower them. As African-Americans, we have higher rates of diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure, obesity, stage 4 cancer. Going to the doctor is the first step, but the follow through is just as important and that includes managing our conditions. Companies like Walmart and Crest reach out to our community and make a difference.
Our friends at Walmart are committed to helping our community live better while keeping costs low. These aren’t just words. Check out some of the information on the website and you will understand why they and Crest Pro-Health are valued partners with “Take A Loved One to the Doctor.”
Be sure to check out the other health information on the website too because we’ve got to start making it a top priority to get regular check-ups every year in the African American community. We have to start taking better care of ourselves and get a jump on the health issues that keep plaguing our people. If you know someone that hasn’t been to the doctor in over a year, I’m asking you to go to their house, go to their job or go to their school – pick them up- make them call the doctor for an appointment and then drive them there.
Of all the promotions we’ve done in the past meant to help black people, this one is truly a lifesaver!
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!