In an interview with the Daily News, the Rev Al. Sharpton said the Network feels Ingram is best suited to replace Mallory. “She has shown the perfect balance,” Sharpton said. “You need someone that knows how to organize rallies and also knows how to talk to congressmen. We need an executive director that can turn demonstration into legislation.”
Sharpton also cited Ingram’s time leading the NAN’s D.C. bureau. “I’ve seen her in demonstrations and the halls of power,” he added. “I think Janaye is a superb leader.”
Ironically, Ingram, who was Miss New Jersey in 2004, says she wasn’t always a great leader. During her sophomore year of high school, the 34-year-old organized a school walkout to protest the school’s Black History Month snub. But when the walkout began, Ingram left alone. She learned that people’s fears can affect activism.
“So now the thing that I try to focus on is empowerment and encouraging people to be active,” Ingram said. “We need to not give in to fear.”
According to Sharpton, NAN’s largest focus right now is on pushing for a new voting rights bill and laws to control stop and frisk. As executive director, Ingram is expected to play a large role in spearheading the legislation. She says she is ready for the task.
“Aside from voting rights, my other major priority is addressing racial profiling. Too many people of color find themselves the subject of suspicion just because of how they look,” she said.
“We see it here in New York with stop and frisk, and we see it in other instances. There must be a federal law that protects people from laws that subject them to searches or other constitutional infringement based on the fact that their skin is a certain color, they practice a certain religion, or speak a certain language.”
Though she will have to work in Harlem instead of D.C., Ingram feels her experience in the nation’s capital will help her.
“Having strong relationships and being able to connect with policymakers and legislators has allowed me to make some change,” she said. “I’m tremendously excited to be back in Harlem. It’s the village and the people have always been welcoming. It’s a homecoming.”
Ingram plans on spending time in both D.C. and New York. She was promoted to her position on August 29th.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Janaye Ingram: Former Beauty Queen Named NAN’s New Executive Director