Olympic gold medalist Jackie Joyner Kersee is one of the greatest athletes of our time, and now that she’s retired from track and field she wants to help others reach their goals. She’s part of the The Boys and Girls Clubs National Kid’s Day, which is actually not just for kids at all. It’s a day the organization created to encourage adults to act like kids again.
“It’s really adults remembering back to their childhood like when they used to play outside on the weekends,” Kersee told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. In Atlanta, Kersee joined Olympic gold medalist Gail Devers and singer Ne-Yo to celebrate the Day for Kids and participate in several activities.
“We did a tug-of-war against the younger people. They beat us. No excuses. They put it on us,” she laughs.
The idea is to help adults understand the special programs that Boys and Girls Clubs offer at-risk youth nationwide. For at-risk youth, the Clubs offer afterschool and sports programs that help them with homework and keep them occupied and away from negative influences. Celebrities like Shaquille O’Neal and Denzel Washington were part of Boys and Girl’s Clubs in their childhoods, among many others.
Even though Kersee has been retired for some time, there are still people who remember her reign as the 1988 Olympic heptathlon champion, which confers upon its winner the title Greatest Athlete in the World. She set a world record in the event that has yet to be matched. Though it’s been a while, some people still want to challenge Kersee’s athletic prowess.
“No matter where I go, they want to race you,” Joyner says. “But a lot of kids in middle school didn’t even see me compete. Then once they google you, they’re like ‘Whoa.’ It’s always a good idea to remind people that whatever you do, work hard.”
There are national Day For Kids celebrations this month in New York City, Los Angeles and Dallas, Texas. To find out those dates and locations and to find and event near you, click here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25