News anchor Leon Harris, a beloved fixture on Washington ABC affiliate WJLA-TV, has recovered from a severe medical condition that nearly killed him. In fact, Harris says that he died twice while under care, making his triumphant return to the anchor’s desk tonight even more remarkable.
As reported by Yahoo! News, Harris, 52, appeared on Good Morning America earlier today to share details about his health scare and how it nearly took his life. A 20-year veteran, Harris says after doubling over from severe abdominal pain on Aug. 1, it was revealed that he suffered from acute necrotizing pancreatitis. Doctors at Baltimore’s John’s Hopkins Hospital made the discovery after he was airlifted to the facility.
It was worse than Mike Tyson punching me,” says Harris. “It was the worst pain I think I’ve ever felt in my life.”
Harris’ kidneys were failing him and his lungs were filling with fluid. For nine days, Harris needed the assistance of a ventilator to breathe and suffered so much, he felt himself losing the will to live and even told his wife, Dawn, and their two children to make preparations.
Watch Leon Harris talk about his experience here:
“On two different days I died,” he said. “I zeroed out and they revived me. I got sick and tired of trying to breathe. It was like trying to snorkel across a lake breathing through a cocktail straw.”
But what happened next was truly a miracle.
“And I closed my eyes and I happened to see Dawn’s face. And I said, ‘I can’t quit on her. If I quit on her, I’m going to go to hell, and if I go to hell, I’m not going to go to hell for quitting,’” he shared. Shortly after the vision of his wife’s smiling face, Harris’ condition improved rapidly.
Now with half a pancreas, Harris is slated to join the evening news team at WJLA for the 5 p.m. and 11 p.m. airings. Despite a return to his normal schedule, Harris realizes how blessed he is.
“If I die twice on the table and I’m still here…God kicked my butt out of Heaven twice, so I’m supposed to be here,” Harris said. “I can’t quit.”
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading DC Newsman Died Twice In Hospital, Returns To TV After Recovery